Holy Cross Women's Tennis Edges Lafayette, 4-3
April 5, 2009
WEST POINT, N.Y. - The Crusaders earned the doubles point, while junior Kristen Meahl (Falmouth, Maine), freshman Emily Marr (Holden, Mass.) and junior Kathryn Wilkie (Oak Brook, Ill.) each won their singles matches as the Holy Cross women's tennis team defeated Lafayette, 4-3, on April 4, in Patriot League action. With the win, the Crusaders improve to 7-6 overall (1-1 Patriot League), while Lafayette falls to 5-7 (0-2 Patriot League).
The Crusaders earned the doubles point by winning two of the three matches. At No. 1 doubles, Meahl and freshman Carolyn Chandley (Worcester, Mass.) defeated Ansley Scudder and Sarah Sykes, 9-8, as they won 7-2 in a tie-breaker. Senior Paige Brown (Huntington, N.Y.) and freshman Emma Rudnik (Lake Bluff, Ill.) won the No. 3 doubles match over Caitlin Gordon and Emily DeLuca, 8-3.
At No. 1 singles, Meahl earned the win over Allie Seranko, 7-5, 6-3, while Marr won the No. 2 singles match over Scudder also in straight sets, 6-1, 7-5. Wilkie defeated DeLuca in three sets at No. 6 singles by scores of 2-6, 6-4, 7-5.
The Crusaders return to action on April 5 when they continue Patriot League action with a match versus Lehigh at 4:00 p.m.
1. Kristen Meahl (HC) def. Allie Seranko (LC) -- 7-5, 6-3
2. Emily Marr (HC) def. Ansley Scudder (LC) -- 6-1, 7-5
3. Sarah Sykes (LC) def. Carolyn Chandley (HC) -- 7-6 (7-2), 6-3
4. Rachel Rohinsky (LC) def. Hailee Lange (HC) -- 6-4, 6-4
5. Caitlin Gordon (LC) def. Ivette Konopka (HC) -- 6-1, 6-2
6. Kathryn Wilkie (HC) def. Emily DeLuca (LC) -- 2-6, 6-4, 7-5
1. Meahl / Chandley (HC) def. Scudder / Sarah Sykes (LC) -- 9-8 (7-2)
2. Seranko / Rohinsky (LC) def. Marr / Konopka (HC) -- 8-1
3. Paige Brown / Emma Rudnik (HC) def. Gordon / DeLuca (LC) -- 8-3