Women's Tennis Dominates American International, 7-0
April 1, 2009
WORCESTER, Mass. - The Crusaders only dropped four total games as the Holy Cross women's tennis team defeated American International, 7-0, on Wednesday afternoon at the Holy Cross Tennis Courts. With the win, the Crusaders improve to 6-5 overall and win their third straight match, while the Yellow Jackets fall to 0-6.
The Crusaders earned the doubles point as the No. 1 doubles team of junior Kathryn Wilkie (Oak Brook, Ill.) and freshman Emma Rudnik (Lake Bluff, Ill.) defeated Sarah Pfefferkorn and Tyler Rockefeller, 8-2, while senior Paige Brown (Huntington, N.Y.) and freshman Rosemary Moran (Concord, N.H.) took the No. 2 doubles match over Kelly Mateus and Krysten Irzyk, 8-0. This was Moran's collegiate debut. Junior Kristen Meahl (Falmouth, Maine) and freshman Carolyn Chandley (Worcester, Mass.) won the No. 3 doubles match on a forfeit.
At No. 1 singles, Meahl defeated Pfefferkorn, 6-1, 6-0, while freshman No. 2 singles player Emily Marr (Holden, Mass.) swept Rockefeller, 6-0, 6-0. Chandley won the No. 3 singles match over Mateus, 6-1, 6-0, while junior Hailee Lange (Miami, Fla.) took the No. 4 singles match over Irzyk, 6-0, 6-0. Junior Ivette Konopka (Shelton, Conn.) swept the No 5 singles match from Sabrina Cruz, 6-0, 6-0, while Wilkie won the No. 6 singles match by forfeit.
The Crusaders return to action on April 4, when they play Patriot League matches at West Point, N.Y., with Army at noon and Lafayette at 7:30 p.m.
1. Kristen Meahl (HC) def. Sarah Pfefferkorn (AIC) -- 6-1, 6-0
2. Emily Marr (HC) def. Tyler Rockefeller (AIC) -- 6-0, 6-0
3. Carolyn Chandley (HC) def. Kelly Mateus (AIC) -- 6-1, 6-0
4. Hailee Lange (HC) def. Krysten Irzyk (AIC) -- 6-0, 6-0
5. Ivette Konopka (HC) def. Sabrina Cruz (AIC) -- 6-0, 6-0
6. Kathryn Wilkie (HC) def. No Player (AIC) -- Forfeit
1. Wilkie / Emma Rudnik (HC) def. Pfefferkorn / Rockefeller (AIC) -- 8-2
2. Paige Brown / Rosemary Moran (HC) def. Mateus / Irzyk (AIC) -- 8-0
3. Meahl / Chandley (HC) def. No Players (AIC) -- Forfeit