March 28, 2009
WORCESTER, Mass. - Freshman Emily Marr (Holden, Mass.), freshman Carolyn Chandley (Worcester, Mass.), junior Hailee Lange (Miami, Fla.) and junior Ivette Konopka (Shelton, Conn.) each won their singles matches and the Crusaders earned the doubles point, as the Holy Cross women's tennis team defeated Bryant, 5-2, on Saturday afternoon at the Holy Cross Tennis Courts. With the win, the Crusaders have won two straight matches and improve to 5-5 overall, while the Bulldogs fall to 3-9.
The Crusaders earned the doubles point as they won two of the three matches. The No 1 doubles team of junior Kristen Meahl (Falmouth, Maine) and Chandley won 8-5 over Valeria Couto Cuervo and Dana Tausek, while at No 3 doubles, senior Paige Brown (Huntington, N.Y.) and junior Kathryn Wilkie (Oak Brook, Ill.) defeated Talia Aviani and Martha Chapman, 8-3.
Holy Cross then won four of the six singles matches for the 5-2 win. Marr won the No. 2 singles match over Katie Francazio by scores of 6-4, 6-3, while Chandley defeated Tausek, 6-2, 6-1, to win the No. 4 singles match. Chandley is now 11-5 overall. At No. 5 singles, Lange won her match with Katie McCabe, 6-2, 6-2. Konopka swept the No. 6 singles match over Aviani, 6-0, 6-0, to improve to 9-3 overall.
The Crusaders return to action on March 29, when they compete at the Wheaton Invitational.
1. Morganne Downing (BU) def. Kristen Meahl (HC) -- 6-2, 6-2
2. Emily Marr (HC) def. Katie Francazio (BU) -- 6-4, 6-3
3. Valeria Couto Cuervo (BU) def. Emma Rudnik (HC) -- 6-2, 6-0
4. Carolyn Chandley (HC) def. Dana Tausek (BU) -- 6-2, 6-1
5. Hailee Lange (HC) def. Katie McCabe (BU) -- 6-2, 6-2
6. Ivette Konopka (HC) def. Talia Aviani (BU) -- 6-0, 6-0
1. Meahl / Chandley (HC) def. Couto Cuervo / Tausek (BU) -- 8-5
2. Downing / Francazio (BU) def. Marr / Rudnik (HC) -- 8-2
3. Paige Brown / Kathryn Wilkie (HC) def. Aviani / Martha Chapman (BU) -- 8-3