Holy Cross Women's Tennis Sweeps Springfield, 7-0
March 25, 2009
WORCESTER, Mass. - The Crusaders won every match in straight sets as the Holy Cross women's tennis team defeated Springfield College, 7-0, on Wednesday afternoon at the Holy Cross Tennis Courts. With the win, the Crusaders improve to 4-5 overall, while the Pride fall to 2-10.
The Crusaders earned the doubles point as they won all three matches. At No. 1 doubles, junior Kristen Meahl (Falmouth, Maine) and freshman Carolyn Chandley (Worcester, Mass.) defeated Amy Shaw and Kyla Walgren, 8-3, while at the No. 2 doubles, freshmen Emily Marr (Holden, Mass.) and Emma Rudnik (Lake Bluff, Ill.) defeated Funmi Olowookere and Talya Pessolano, 8-2. The No. 3 doubles team of senior Paige Brown (Huntington, N.Y.) and junior Kathryn Wilkie (Oak Brook, Ill.) swept their match with Kristi Maltz and Elizabeth Slotnick, 8-0.
Meahl won the No. 1 singles match as she defeated Shaw by a score of 7-5, 6-1, while Marr took the No. 2 single match by a score 6-1, 6-0. Rudnik defeated Walgren at No. 3 singles, 6-1, 6-1. At No. 4 singles, Chandley swept her match with Pessolano, 6-0, 6-0, while junior Hailee Lange (Miami, Fla.) won the No. 5 singles match, 6-1, 6-0. At No. 6 singles, junior Ivette Konopka (Shelton, Conn.) defeated Danielle Lamb by scores of 6-1, 6-0.
The Crusaders return to action on March 28, when they play Bryant at the Holy Cross Tennis Courts at 2:00 p.m.
1. Kristen Meahl (HC) def. Amy Shaw (SC) -- 7-5, 6-1
2. Emily Marr (HC) def. Funmi Olowookere (SC) -- 6-1, 6-0
3. Emma Rudnik (HC) def. Kyla Walgren (SC) -- 6-1, 6-1
4. Carolyn Chandley (HC) def. Talya Pessolano (SC) -- 6-0, 6-0
5. Hailee Lange (HC) def. Kristi Maltz (SC) -- 6-1, 6-0
6. Ivette Konopka (HC) def. Danielle Lamb (SC) -- 6-1, 6-0
1. Meahl / Chandley (HC) def. Shaw / Walgren (SC) -- 8-3
2. Marr / Rudnik (HC) def. Olowookere / Pessolano (SC) -- 8-2
3. Paige Brown / Kathryn Wilkie (HC) def. Maltz / Elizabeth Slotnick (SC) -- 8-0