LEWISBURG, Pa. – The Holy Cross women's tennis team was defeated by Lafayette, 4-0, in the first round of the Patriot League Tournament on Thursday afternoon at the Bucknell Varsity Tennis Courts. The No. 8 Leopards will advance to the quarterfinal round of the Patriot League Tournament on Friday, April 18 versus No. 1 Boston University, while the No. 9 Crusaders have concluded their season with a 6-9 overall record.
The Holy Cross doubles duo of sophomore Jaclyn Carroll (Tewksbury, Mass.) and senior Molly Montgomery (Winnetka, Ill.) won their No. 2 doubles match over Rocine Moschella and Tori Almeida, 8-6. Lafayette, however, claimed the other two double matches to earn the point.
The Leopards would win three singles match to earn the 4-0 victory over Holy Cross. Junior Taylor Stathis (Rockaway, Beach, N.Y.) lost her No. 1 singles match, 6-0, 6-0, to Caroline Nixon, while Almeida defeated senior captain Maya Welch (Rye, N.Y.) in No. 5 singles, 6-0, 6-1. Holy Cross freshman Marielle Newell (St. Louis, Mo.) lost her No. 6 singles match to Lauren Tracy, 6-1, 6-2.
LAFAYETTE 4, HOLY CROSS 0
1. Caroline Nixon (LAF) def. Taylor Stathis (HC), 6-0, 6-0
2. Virginia Peck-Philips (HC) vs. Rocine Moschella (LAF), 6-3, 5-2, DNF
3. Jordyn Spellberg (LAF) vs. Jaclyn Carroll (HC), 6-1, 3-3, DNF
4. Catherine Senopoulos (LAF) vs. Molly Montgomery (HC), 6-4, 2-0, DNF
5. Tori Almeida (LAF) def. Maya Welch (HC), 6-0, 6-1
6. Lauren Tracy (LAF) def. Marielle Newell (HC), 6-1, 6-2
1. Nixon / Senopoulos (LAF) def. Stathis / Peck-Philips (HC), 8-4
2. Carroll / Montgomery (HC) def. Moschella / Almeida (LAF), 8-6
3. Amanda Kusnierz / Tracy (LAF) def. Welch / Newell (HC), 8-5