Women's Tennis Defeated By Southern New Hampshire, 6-3
GOFFSTOWN, N.H. - Holy Cross senior captain Maya Welch (Rye, N.Y.) and freshman Marielle Newell (St. Louis, Mo.) both won their singles and doubles matches, but the Crusaders were defeated by Southern New Hampshire, 6-3, in non-conference women's tennis action on Sunday evening at the Allard Center. With the win, the Penmen improve to 6-0 overall, while Holy Cross falls to 5-4 on the season.
Welch won her No. 5 singles match in straight sets over Yolanda Green, 6-3, 6-3, while Newell claimed the No. 6 singles victory over Allison Valentine, 6-1, 6-0. The duo also won their No. 3 doubles tilt versus Green and Valentine, 8-3.
Holy Cross senior Molly Montgomery (Winnetka, Ill.) lost a close No. 4 singles match to Kirsten Jean, 4-6, 7-5, (12-10).
The Crusaders return to action on Thursday, Feb. 20, when they travel to Boston University for a 3:00 p.m. contest.
SOUTHERN NEW HAMPSHIRE 6, HOLY CROSS 3
1. Sarah Schollgen (SNH) def. Taylor Stathis (HC) 6-2, 6-2
2. Diana Vamvakitis (SNH) def. Virginia Peck-Philips (HC) 6-0, 6-1
3. Jamie Hann (SNH) def. Jaclyn Carroll (HC) 6-3, 6-3
4. Kirsten Jean (SNH) def. Molly Montgomery (HC) 4-6, 7-5, 12-10
5. Maya Welch (HC) def. Yolanda Green (SNH) 6-3, 6-3
6. Marielle Newell (HC) def. Allison Valentine (SNH) 6-1, 6-0
1. Schollegen/Vamvakitis (SNH) def. Stathis/Peck-Philips (HC) 8-4
2. Hann/Jean (SNH) def. Montgomery/Carroll (HC) 8-4
3. Welch/Newell (HC) def. Green/Valentine (SNH) 8-3