Women’s Tennis Defeats Stonehill, 6-1
WORCESTER, Mass. – Three Holy Cross women's tennis players won both their singles and doubles matches, as the Crusaders cruised to a 6-1 victory over Stonehill on Tuesday afternoon at the Sinnott Family Tennis Facility. With the win, Holy Cross improves to 5-3 overall, while the Skyhawks fall to 3-1 on the season.
Holy Cross freshman Virginia Peck-Philips (Palm Beach Gardnes, Fla.) won her No. 1 singles match over Kirsti Toegemann, 6-2, 6-2, before teaming with junior Taylor Stathis (Rockaway Beach, N.Y.) to claim the No. 1 doubles victory, 8-0, over Kaitlin Martin and Bailey Paradiso.
Sophomore No. 3 singles player Jaclyn Carroll (Tewksbury, Mass.) dispatched of Meryl Lawrence, 6-3, 6-3, while senior Molly Montgomery (Winnetka, Ill.) won her No. 4 singles match over Analise Kump, 1-6, 6-2, 7-5. The duo of Carroll and Montgomery won their No. 2 doubles match over Lawrence and Kump, 8-3.
The Crusaders also got singles wins from freshman Marielle Newell (St. Louis, Mo.) and sophomore Cassy Deng (Eden Prairie, Minn.). Newell won her No. 5 singles match, 6-2, 6-4, while Deng claimed the No. 6 singles victory in three sets, 6-4, 1-6, 7-6.
Holy Cross returns to action on Sunday, Oct. 6, when it wrap up the 2013 fall season with a home match versus Simmons at 12:00 p.m.
HOLY CROSS 6, STONEHILL 1
1. Virginia Peck-Philips (HC) def. Kirsti Toegemann (S), 6-2, 6-2
2. Bailey Paradiso (S) def. Taylor Stathis (HC), 7-6, 4-6, 10-7
3. Jaclyn Carroll (HC) def. Meryl Lawrence (S), 6-3, 6-3
4. Molly Montgomery (HC) def. Analise Kump (S), 1-6, 6-2, 7-5
5. Marielle Newell (HC) def. Kaitlin Martin (S), 6-2, 6-4
6. Cassy Deng (HC) def. Lorraine Smith (S), 6-4, 1-6, 7-6
1. Taylor Stathis / Virginia Peck-Philips (HC) def. Kaitlin Martin / Bailey Paradiso (S), 8-0
2. Molly Montgomery / Jaclyn Carroll (HC) def. Meryl Lawrence / Analise Kump (S), 8-3
3. Bailey Paradiso / Amanda DePasquale (S) def. Marielle Newell / Cassy Deng (HC), 8-5