MILTON, Mass. – Six members of the Holy Cross women's tennis team won both their singles and doubles matches, as the Crusaders defeated Curry, 9-0, on Monday afternoon at the "Big Nine" Tennis Courts. With the win, Holy Cross improves to 4-3 on the season, while the Colonels fall to 7-4 overall.
Holy Cross No. 1 singles player, freshman Virginia Peck-Philips (Palm Beach Gardens, Fla.) won her match 6-4, 5-0 (ret.), while sophomore No. 2 singles player Taylor Stathis (Rockaway Beach, N.Y.) claimed her tilt, 6-0, 6-0. The pair also won their No. 1 doubles match, 8-2 over Emily Mongello and Lauren Chula.
In No. 3 singles, sophomore Jaclyn Carroll (Tewksbury, Mass.) won her match, 6-0, 6-0, as senior Molly Montgomery (Winnetka, Ill.) earned the No. 4 singles win, 6-1, 6-2. The duo also won their No. 2 doubles match over Megan Mulrooney and Kimberly Love, 8-2.
Holy Cross freshman Marielle Newell (St. Louis, Mo.) won her No. 5 singles match, 6-1, 6-0, while sophomore No. 6 singles player Addie Devine (Cumberland Foreside, Maine) recorded the straight set, 6-0, 6-0 triumph. Newell and Devine teamed up in No. 3 doubles to win the match, 8-3 over Elizabeth Zarkades and Devin Curley.
The Crusaders will return to action on Tuesday, Oct., as they will host Stonehill at the Sinnott Family Tennis Facility for a 3:30 match.
HOLY CROSS 9, CURRY 0
1. Virginia Peck-Philips (HC) def. Megan Mulrooney (C), 6-4, 5-0 (ret)
2. Taylor Stathis (HC) def. Emily Mongello (C), 6-0, 6-0
3. Jaclyn Carroll (HC) def. Molly Lewis (C), 6-0, 6-0
4. Molly Montgomery (HC) def. Devin Chula (C), 6-1, 6-2
5. Marielle Newell (HC) def. Kayla Prete (C), 6-1, 6-0
6. Addie Devine (HC) def. Devin Curley (C), 6-0, 6-0
1. Virginia Peck-Philips / Taylor Stathis (HC) def. Emily Mongello / Lauren Chula (C), 8-2
2. Jaclyn Carroll / Molly Montgomery (HC) def. Megan Mulrooney / Kimberly Love (C), 8-2
3. Marielle Newell / Addie Devine (HC) def. Elizabeth Zarkades / Devin Curley (C), 8-3