Women’s Tennis Tops Connecticut College, 7-0
WORCESTER, Mass. – The Holy Cross women's tennis team swept every point, as it defeated Connecticut College by a score of 7-0 on Sunday afternoon at the Sinnott Family Tennis Facility. With the win, the Crusaders improve to 2-1 on the season, while the Camels open the 2013-2014 campaign at 0-1.
In No. 1 singles, freshman Virginia Peck-Philips (Palm Beach Gardens, Fla.) defeated Charlotte Marcoux in three sets, 6-2, 1-6, (10-4), while junior Taylor Stathis (Rockaway Beach, N.Y.) won her No. 2 singles match over Adrieene Sieverding, 6-0, 6-2.
Sophomore No. 3 singles player Jaclyn Carroll (Tewksbury, Mass.) and senior No. 4 singles player Molly Montgomery (Winnetka, Ill.) won their matches by respective scores of 6-3, 6-1, and 6-1, 6-0. Senior captain Maya Welch (Rye, N.Y.) claimed the 6-3, 6-4 victory in No. 5 singles, while freshman Marielle Newell (St. Louis, Mo.) won her No. 6 singles match, 6-0, 6-1.
The duos of Stathis and Peck-Philips, and Montgomery and Carroll won their No. 1 doubles and No. 2 doubles matches, respectively, by a score of 8-4. Welch and Newell earned the 8-1 match victory in No. 3 doubles.
Holy Cross returns to action on Tuesday, Sept. 17, when it will travel to North Andover, Mass. to take on Merrimack at 3:30 p.m.
HOLY CROSS 7, CONNECTICUT COLLEGE 0
1. Virginia Peck Philips (HC) def. Charlotte Marcoux (CC), 6-2, 1-6, (10-4)
2. Taylor Stathis (HC) def. Adrieene Sieverding (CC), 6-0, 6-2
3. Jaclyn Carroll (HC) def. Susanna Studwell (CC), 6-3, 6-1
4. Molly Montgomery (HC) def. Aneeka Kalia (CC), 6-1, 6-0
5. Maya Welch (HC) def. Monica Rohrbach (CC), 6-3, 6-4
6. Marielle Newell (HC) def. Jillian Brigandi (CC), 6-0, 6-1
1. Virginia Peck Philips / Taylor Stathis (HC) def. Adrieene Sieverding / Susanna Studwell (CC), 8-4
2. Jaclyn Carroll / Molly Montgomery (HC) def. Aneeka Kalia / Charlotte Marcoux (CC), 8-4
3. Maya Welch / Marielle Newell (HC) def. Monica Rohrbach / Ellie Rudd (CC), 8-1