WORCESTER, Mass. – Holy Cross senior Molly Montgomery (Winnetka, Ill.) and freshman Marielle Newell (St. Louis, Mo.) won both of their singles and doubles matches to help Holy Cross to a 4-3 triumph over Siena in non-conference women's tennis action on Friday afternoon at the Sinnott Family Tennis Facility. With the win, the Crusaders even out their record to 1-1 overall, while the Saints begin the 2013-2014 season at 0-1.
In doubles action, Holy Cross took two of the three matches for what proved to be a key point in the match. In No. 2 doubles, Montgomery and sophomore Jaclyn Carroll (Tewksbury, Mass.) won their match, 8-2, while Newell and senior captain Maya Welch (Rye, N.Y.) won their No. 3 singles tilt, 9-7.
Montgomery won her No. 4 singles match by a score of 6-4, 6-2, while Newell claimed the straight set, 6-2, 6-3, victory in No. 6 singles. Holy Cross freshman Virginia Peck-Philips (Palm Beach Gardens, Fla.) won her first career match with a 4-6, 6-4, 6-3 triumph in No. 1 singles.
The Holy Cross women's tennis team returns to action on Saturday, Sept. 14, when it will compete in the Salve Regina Doubles Invitational in Newport, R.I. with matches beginning at 1:00 p.m.
HOLY CROSS 4, SIENA 3
1. Virginia Peck-Philips (HC) def. Carly Holloway (S), 4-6, 6-4, 6-3
2. Ali Garrity (S) def. Taylor Stathis (HC), 4-3 (default)
3. Mitsuki Fukamachi (S) def. Jaclyn Carroll (HC), 6-2, 6-1
4. Molly Montgomery (HC) def. Maria Varano (S), 1-6, 6-3, 6-2
5. Jessica Macaluso (S) def. Maya Welch (HC), 6-4, 6-2
6. Marielle Newell (HC) def. Erika Reagan (S), 6-2, 6-3
1. Carly Holloway / Ali Garrity (S) def. Virginia Peck-Philips / Taylor Stathis (HC), 9-8
2. Jaclyn Carroll / Molly Montgomery (HC) def. Mitsuki Fukamachi / Jessica Macaluso (S), 8-2
3. Maya Welch / Marielle Newell (HC) def. Maria Varano / Erika Reagan (S), 9-7