Women’s Tennis Defeated In Patriot League Tournament
WEST POINT, N.Y. – The Holy Cross women's tennis team was knocked out of the Patriot League Tournament by Bucknell by a score of 4-0 at Malek Courts on Friday afternoon. With the loss, the sixth-seeded Crusaders conclude the 2012-2013 season with an overall record of 5-10, while the No. 3 seeded Bison move on to play No. 2 Navy in the Patriot League Semifinals on Saturday.
Due to Patriot League Tournament rules, the first team to four points wins the match as Bucknell claimed the doubles point with a pair of victories in the No. 1 and No. 2 tilts. The Bison concluded the match with three straight singles victories over freshman Jaclyn Carroll (Tewksbury, Mass.), junior Maya Welch (Rye, N.Y.), and first year Cassy Deng (Eden Prairie, Minn.).
The other three singles matches and the No. 3 doubles tilt did not finish due to the earlier results. Holy Cross freshman Abby Henry (Wellesley, Mass.) was trailing in her No. 4 singles match, 6-2, 4-3, while sophomore No. 1 singles player Taylor Stathis (Rockaway Beach, N.Y.) was losing her match, 6-3, 3-0 when the match ended.
BUCKNELL 4, HOLY CROSS 0
1. Elena Vidrascu (B) vs. Taylor Stathis (HC), 6-3, 3-0 DNF
2. Maria Cioffi (B) def. Jaclyn Carroll (HC), 6-1, 6-0
3. Lydia Colvin (B) def. Maya Welch (HC), 6-0, 6-1
4. Jen Bush (B) vs. Abby Henry (HC), 6-2, 4-3 DNF
5. Christie Schneider (B) vs. Addie Devine (HC), 6-3, 1-0 DNF
6. Steph Pino (B) def. Cassy Deng (HC), 6-1, 6-0