WORCESTER, Mass. – The Holy Cross women's tennis team won every match as it defeated Curry, 7-0, in non-conference tennis action on Saturday afternoon at the Sinnott Family Tennis Facility. With the win, the Crusaders improve to 3-6 on the season, while the Colonels fall to 9-10 overall.
Holy Cross No. 1 singles player, sophomore Taylor Stathis (Rockaway Beach, N.Y.), defeated Megan Mulrooney in straight sets, 6-0, 6-0 as Crusaders No. 2 singles player, freshman Jaclyn Carroll (Tewksbury, Mass.), won her match over Emily Mongello, 6-3, 6-0. Stathis and Carroll also defeated Mulrooney and Mongello in their No. 1 doubles tilt, 8-2.
Holy Cross junior Maya Welch (Rye, N.Y.) won her No. 3 singles match, 6-3, 6-1, while freshman Abby Henry (Wellesley, Mass.) claimed the victory at No. 4 singles, 6-1, 6-0. Henry and Welch also won their No. 2 doubles match, 8-0.
Freshman Holy Cross players, Addie Devine (Portland, Maine) and Cassy Deng (Eden Prairie, Minn.) won their singles matches, 6-2, 6-1, and 6-0, 6-0, respectively. Crusaders No. 3 doubles pair of senior captain Jessica DeSimone (Lincoln, R.I.) and junior Katie McKenna (Longmeadow, Mass.) won their tilt, 8-1.
The Crusaders return to action on Monday, April 8, when they will host Simmons at 3:30 p.m. at the Sinnott Family Tennis Facility in Worcester, Mass.
HOLY CROSS 7, CURRY 0
1. Taylor Stathis (HC) def. Megan Mulrooney (C), 6-0, 6-0
2. Jaclyn Carroll (HC) def. Emily Mongello (C), 6-3, 6-0
3. Maya Welch (HC) def. Lauren Chuha (C), 6-3, 6-1
4. Abby Henry (HC) def. Elizabeth Zarkades (C), 6-1, 6-0
5. Addie Devine (HC) def. Devin Curley (C), 6-2, 6-1
6. Cassy Deng (HC) def Alison Rhodes (C), 6-0, 6-0
1. Stathis / Carroll (HC) def. Mulrooney / Mongello (C), 8-2
2. Henry / Welch (HC) def. Curley / Zarkades (C), 8-0
3. Katie McKenna / Jessica DeSimone (HC) def. Chuha / Rhodes (C), 8-1