EASTON, Mass. – Holy Cross freshman Abby Henry (Wellesley, Mass.) won her No. 4 singles match as the women's tennis team was defeated by Stonehill, 8-1, at the Sally Blair Ames Sports Complex on Wednesday afternoon. With the setback, Holy Cross falls to 2-4 on the season, while the Skyhawks improve to 11-1.
Henry defeated Analise Kump by a score of 6-2, 2-6, 10-6 in the fourth-singles match, which moves her season record to 5-3 in solo tilts. Holy Cross freshman Jaclyn Carroll (Tewksbury, Mass.) lost a tough fought match at No. 2 singles to Kirsti Toegemann, 6-3, 1-6, 9-11. Crusaders No. 1 singles player, sophomore Taylor Stathis (Rockaway Beach, N.Y.) lost her tilt versus Bailey Paradiso, 3-6, 3-6.
The three Holy Cross doubles teams fell victim to the Skyhawks, with the closest match being the No. 3 tilt. The duo of senior captain Jessica DeSimone (Lincoln, R.I.) and junior Katie McKenna (Longmeadow, Mass.) lost their match, 4-8 to Paradiso and Kump.
Holy Cross will return to action on Monday, March 18, when it will travel to Rhode Island for a 3:30 p.m. match. The Crusaders' match versus St. Anselm, which was originally scheduled for Friday, March 15 at the Sinnot Tennis Facility, has been postponed to a later date.
1. Bailey Paradiso (S) def. Taylor Stathis (HC), 6-3, 6-3
2. Kirsti Toegemann (S) def. Jaclyn Carroll (HC), 3-6, 6-1, 11-9
3. Meryl Lawrence (S) def. Maya Welch (HC), 6-0, 6-2
4. Abby Henry (HC) def. Analise Kump (S), 6-2, 2-6, 10-6
5. Kaitlyn Martin (S) def. Addie Devine (HC), 6-0, 6-1
6. Chelsea Haedrich (S) def. Cassy Deng (HC), 8-1
1. Kirsti Toegemann/Meryl Lawrence (S) def. Taylor Stathis/Jaclyn Carroll (HC), 8-3
2. Kaitlyn Martin/Chelsea Haedrich (S) def. Maya Welch/Abby Henry (HC), 8-2
3. Bailey Paradiso/Analise Kump (S) def. Jessica DeSimone/Katie McKenna (HC), 8-4