April 24, 2012
Women's Tennis Completes 2011-2012 Season
Overall Record: 11-5 (0-2 PL); Last Week: 1-1
Scoreboard: Holy Cross 7, Clark 2, Worcester, Mass., 4/18
Army 4, Holy Cross 0, Bethlehem, Pa., 4/20
Schedule: Season has concluded
- The Holy Cross women's tennis team completed the 2011-2012 season with a 4-0 loss to Army in the Patriot League quarterfinals. Army went on to top Navy for the 2012 Patriot League title, winning 4-1 for its eighth consecutive championship. The Crusaders finish the 2011-2012 season with an 11-5 record, earning the most number of wins since the 2008-2009 team went 10-8. They won six straight matches during the course of the season, the longest win streak for the team in over six years of history.
- The team says goodbye to five seniors, Emma Rudnik (Lake Bluff, Ill.), Emily Marr (Jefferson, Mass.), Meaghan Fitzpatrick (Hinsdale, Ill.), Jen Daffron (Ramsey, N.J.) and Carolyn Chandley (Worcester, Mass.). After posting just two wins as juniors, this year's seniors helped turn the team around, more than doubling the number of total wins. Combined, this year's senior class won a total of 29 matches, an average of seven matches per season.
- Chandley and Marr, team captains and local products, have definitely left their mark on the Holy Cross program. The two have combined for 70 wins in singles play, including identical 11 wins as seniors. They have been double partners for all four seasons as well, combining for a 28-13 record when playing together. Fourteen of those wins came this season, as the two posted a career-best 14-8 record in doubles play.
- Fellow senior Rudnik also had a career year, posting a career-best 7-3 overall singles record. In her career, she has posted 10 singles victories. She also finished with a career-best 14-7 record in doubles action this season, teaming up with junior Jessica DeSimone (Lincoln, R.I.). The duo's 14 wins tied the team-high while their 3-3 record from the 2010-2011 season was also a team-best.
- Emerging as a top player for the Crusaders in the 2011-2012 season was freshman Taylor Stathis (Rockaway Beach, N.Y.). The newcomer took over the team's No. 1 singles spot during the spring season and finished with a 10-6 overall record, including nine wins and five losses in dual matches. She went 6-1 at the No. 2 spot and 2-3 at No. 1. Her 10 singles wins ranked second highest on the team.