Women's Tennis Suffers 4-0 Defeat To Army In Patriot League Quarterfinals
BETHLEHEM, Pa. - The No. 7-seed Holy Cross women's tennis team fell to the No. 2 seed Army, 4-0, in the first round of the 2012 Patriot League Championship, held at the Ulrich Varsity Courts. Due to Patriot League rules, the first team to reach a 4-0 lead is called the winner. All matches in progress are stopped at that point. With the final, Holy Cross completes the 2011-2012 season with a record of 11-5, winning the most matches since the 2008-2009 season.
The Black Knights won the doubles point after winning the No. 2 and No. 1 matches by exact 8-0 scores. Holy Cross was able to complete three singles matches as seniors Emily Marr (Jefferson, Mass.) and Carolyn Chandley (Worcester, Mass.) competed in their final singles matches in Crusader uniforms. Sophomore Maya Welch (Rye, N.Y.) was able to win two games, but was the final singles match to finish for Holy Cross, falling by a 6-2, 6-0 final. The No. 1, No. 2 and No. 6 matches did not finish as freshman Taylor Stathis (Rockaway Beach, N.Y.) also won two games in her first set.
With today's result, Holy Cross has now ended the 2011-2012 season. Army moves on to play Colgate in the semifinal round, held tomorrow, April 21.
1. Taylor/Taylor (A) def. Stathis/Montgomery (HC), 8-0
2. Colton/Paul (A) def. Marr/Chandley (HC), 8-0
3. Iliev/Riney (A) led Rudnik/DeSimone (HC), 6-0, DNF
Order of Finish: 2, 1
1. Erin Colton (A) led Taylor Stathis (HC), 6-2, 2-0, DNF
2. Jamila Paul (A) led Molly Montgomery (HC), 6-1, 3-0, DNF
3. Natalie Allen (A) def. Emily Marr (HC), 6-0, 6-0
4. Margaret Iliev (A) def. Carolyn Chandley (HC), 6-0, 6-0
5. Della Taylor (A) def. Maya Welch (HC), 6-2, 6-0
6. Elle Taylor (A) led Emma Rudnik (HC), 6-0, 5-0, DNF
Order of Finish: 4, 3, 5