WORCESTER, Mass. – The Holy Cross women's tennis team won two of the three doubles matches, earning the tie-breaking point and defeated Manhattan, 4-3, at the Holy Cross Tennis Courts. With the win, the Crusaders extend their win-streak to four matches and improve to 6-1 on the fall. Manhattan falls to 2-3.
The No. 2 doubles team of seniors Carolyn Chandley (Worcester, Mass.) and Emily Marr (Jefferson, Mass.) and the No. 3 doubles team of senior Emma Rudnik (Lake Bluff, Ill.) and junior Jessica DeSimone (Lincoln. R.I.) boosted Holy Cross with two 8-6 wins to earn the doubles point. The wins give the two duos eight wins each on the season.
The Crusaders and Jaspers then split the singles points, 3-3, as Marr and Rudnik won the No. 3 and No. 6 matches in straight sets. Freshman Taylor Stathis (Rockaway Beach, N.Y.) also extended her win streak to four-straight victories at No. 2 singles, taking a straight-set win over Hilary Valenzuela.
Holy Cross wraps up its fall season on Tuesday, Oct. 18 at Hartford. The rescheduled match is set for 3:30 p.m. at the Hartford Tennis Courts in Hartford, Conn.
1. Lili Johnson/Brianna Turano (MC) def. Molly Montgomery/Taylor Stathis (HC), 8-4
2. Carolyn Chandley/Emily Marr (HC) def. Hilary Valenzuela/Caitlin Bricketto (MC), 8-6
3. Jessica DeSimone/Emma Rudnik (HC) def. Alyssa Rosello/Christina Ton (MC), 8-6
1. Johnson (MC) def. Montgomery (HC), 6-0, 6-1
2. Stathis (HC) def. Valenzuela (MC), 6-2, 6-3
3. Marr (HC) def. Bricketto (MC), 6-4, 6-3
4. Turano (MC) def. Chandley (HC), 6-4, 6-3
5. Stephanie Tsao (MC) def. Maya Welch (HC), 6-3, 0-6, 6-3
6. Rudnik (HC) def. Catherine Clark (MC), 6-3, 6-1