Women's Tennis Tops Merrimack, 5-2
WORCESTER, Mass. – The Holy Cross women's tennis team continued its excellent play in singles matches, finishing ahead of Merrimack, 5-2, at the Holy Cross Tennis Courts. With the decision, the Crusaders improve to a record of 4-1 on the fall while the Warriors pick up a record of 1-1. Three singles matches were won in straight sets.
The duo of junior Jessica DeSimone (Lincoln, R.I.) and Emma Rudnik (Lake Bluff, Ill.) tallied the team's only win in doubles action in the No. 3 spot. The Crusaders then rallied for five wins in singles, including three straight set wins from sophomore Maya Welch (Rye, N.Y.) and seniors Emily Marr (Jefferson, Mass.) and Carolyn Chandley (Worcester, Mass.). Welch won the No. 5 match while Marr won at No. 3 and Chandley at No. 4. Freshman Taylor Stathis (Rockaway Beach, N.Y.) also brought home a win, earning a tie-breaking win at No. 2 singles.
Holy Cross continues its fall season on Tuesday, Oct. 4 at Hartford. The match is set for 3:30 p.m. at the Holy Hartford Tennis Courts in West Hartford, Conn.
1. Shakee Messina (MC) def. Molly Montgomery (HC), 6-2, 6-0
2. Taylor Stathis (HC) def. Kara Hole (MC), 7-6 (7-4), 6-3
3. Emily Marr (HC) def. Alyx Barnes (MC), 6-0, 6-1
4. Carolyn Chandley (HC) def. Courtney Garvy (MC), 6-4, 6-1
5. Maya Welch (HC) def. Erin McMahon (MC), 6-0, 6-4
6. Mary McAuliffe (HC) def. Katie Veasy (MC), 9-8 (7-4)
1. Messina/Hole (MC) def. Montgomery/Stathis (HC), 8-2
2. Barnes/Garvey (MC) def. Chandley/Marr (HC), 8-6
3. Jessica DeSimone/Emma Rudnik (HC) def. McMahon/Veasy (MC), 8-2