ANNAPOLIS, Md. – The No. 2 seed Navy women's tennis team proved to be too much for the No. 7-seeded Holy Cross women's tennis team, as the squad fell 6-0 in the first round of the Patriot League Tournament at the Brigade Sports Complex. With the final, the Crusaders wrap up the 2010-2011 campaign with a 2-14 overall record (0-3 Patriot League) while the Midshipmen continue the hunt for the Patriot League crown, notching a 21-9 overall record (3-0 Patriot League).
The Midshipmen began the day by picking up victories in all three doubles matches to claim the first point. Navy then followed with five consecutive singles wins, topping the Crusaders in straight sets at No.1, No. 2, No. 4, No. 5 and No. 6 singles. Freshman Maya Welch (Rye, N.Y.) did not complete her No. 3 singles match, and was down 6-0, 5-0 when the match was called. Fellow freshman Molly Montgomery (Winnetka, Ill.) was the only Crusader to win a game in singles action, falling in her No. 1 match, 6-1, 6-0.
Today's match marks the final time the Holy Cross women's tennis team will compete this season. The squad finished the spring portion of its schedule with a record of 2-8.
1. Dye Das/Amanda Griffin (NAVY) def. Emily Marr/Molly Montgomery (HC) - 8-2
2. Emani Decquir/Stefanie Ton (NAVY) def. Jessica DeSimone/Emma Rudnik (HC) – 8-1
3. Brittney Boucher/Erin Snook (NAVY) def. Jen Daffron/Maya Welch (HC) – 8-0
1. Griffin (NAVY) def. Montgomery (HC), 6-1, 6-0
2. Decquir (NAVY) def. Marr (HC) – 6-0, 6-0
3. Ton (NAVY) led Welch (HC) – 6-0, 5-0, DNF
4. Darien Spears (NAVY) def. Mary McAuliffe (HC) – 6-0, 6-0
5. Snook (NAVY) def. Rudnik (HC) — 6-0, 6-0
6. Boucher (NAVY) def. DeSimone (HC) – 6-0, 6-0