Women's Tennis Swept By Wesleyan, 9-0
MIDDLETOWN, Conn. – The Holy Cross women's tennis team could not score against Wesleyan, falling 9-0 in the final regular season match at the John Wood Memorial Tennis Courts. With the final tally, the Crusaders head into the Patriot League tournament with a 2-13 record on the season while the Cardinals post a record of 10-5.
Because of the Division III rules, Wesleyan won three points in the doubles matches, sweeping all competitions. The Cardinals continued to win the No. 2 through No. 5 matches in straight sets as freshman Molly Montgomery (Winnetka, Ill.) took her No. 1 match to three sets, but lost the tiebreaker, 6-2 7-6 (7-5). Junior Jen Daffron (Ramsey, N.J.) also went to extra points in the No. 6 match, but lost 6-0, 7-6.
The Crusaders will play as the No. 7 seed in the Patriot League tournament this weekend. They will match up with the No. 2 seed, Navy, at the Brigade Sport Complex in Annapolis, Md.
1. Genevieve Aniello (WU) def. Molly Montgomery (HC), 6-2, 7-6 (7-5)
2. Sarah Miller (WU) def. Emily Marr (HC), 6-3, 6-3
3. Grace Smith (WU) def. Maya Welch (HC), 6-1, 6-1
4. Kiley Robbins (WU def. Mary McAuliffe (HC), 6-2, 6-0
5. Linda McDougal (WU) def. Jessica DeSimone (HC), 6-0, 6-1
6. Nicki Softness (WU) def. Jen Daffron (HC), 6-0, 7-6
1. Aniello/Smith (WU) def. Montgomery/Welch (HC), 8-0
2. McDougal/Softness (WU) def. Marr/DeSimone (HC), 8-2
3. Hannah Berkman/Kaitlyn Clark (WU) def. Daffron/McAuliffe (HC), 8-4