NEW LONDON, Conn. – Freshman Molly Montgomery's (Winnetka, Ill.) No. 1 singles win was not enough as the Holy Cross women's tennis team lost a 6-3 decision against Connecticut College. With the final tally, the Crusaders drop to a record of 2-12 on the season while the Camels post a record of 7-10.
Montgomery topped out at No. 1 singles in three sets, 2-6, 6-2, 6-2 while fellow freshman Maya Welch (Rye, N.Y.) also won at No. 4 singles. Holy Cross earned their last point at No. 2 doubles as Welch and junior Carolyn Chandley (Worcester, Mass.) won their match.
The Crusaders wrap up the regular season with a match at Wesleyan on Wednesday, April 20 at 3:30 p.m. The match will be held on the John Wood Memorial Tennis Courts in Middletown, Conn.
1. Molly Montgomery (HC) def. Becca Heupel (CC) 2-6, 6-2, 6-2
2. Jen Herbert (CC) def. Carolyn Chandley (HC) 4-6, 6-4, 6-4
3. Sara Krivoshik (CC) def. Emily Marr (HC) 6-7, 6-0, 6-0
4. Maya Welch (HC) def. Caroline Barone (CC) 4-6, 6-4, 6-2
5. Brittany Badik (CC) def. Mary McAuliffe (HC) 6-1, 6-4
6. Maddy Swanson (CC) def. Jessica DeSimone (HC) 6-0, 7-6
1. Cassie Smith/Herbert (CC) def. Montgomery/Welch (HC) 8-4
2. Marr/Chandley (HC) def. Heupel/Barone (CC) 9-7
3. Brittney Cangemi/Badik (CC) def. Emma Rudnik/DeSimone