February 15, 2011
Women's Tennis Set To Kick Off Its Spring Season
Overall Record: 0-5 (0-0 PL), Last Week: 0-0
Schedule: Saturday, Feb. 19, vs. Sacred Heart, New Haven, Conn., 4:00 p.m.
- The Holy Cross women's tennis team kicks off its spring season with a match against Sacred Heart on Saturday, Feb. 19. The match will be held at Yale's Tennis Complex in New Haven, Conn. The teams have competed against each other in each of the last five spring seasons, as the Pioneers currently ride a six-match winning streak into Saturday's match against the Crusaders.
- The Crusaders finished the fall with a record of 0-5 under second year head coach Lisa Meola and hope to avoid a repeat of the 2010 spring where the squad fell in its first three matches, dropping decisions to Sacred Heart (7-0), Albany (6-1) and Quinnipiac (7-0).
- Breaking into the win column for the first time in their collegiate careers over the fall were freshmen Molly Montgomery (Winnetka, Ill.) and Maya Welch (Rye, N.Y.), who each won their singles matches against Hartford. Montgomery won at No. 1 singles while Welch followed with a win at No. 3 singles. Both finished the fall season with a 1-7 record in singles play.
- Junior Emily Marr (Jefferson, Mass.) finished her fall season with the most wins on the team, collecting three wins as the team's No. 2 singles player. She finished the fall with a record of 2-3 in dual matches. She lost a close match to Sacred Heart's Elizabeth Harrington last season, falling 6-2, 7-6 (7-3).
- Junior Jen Daffron (Ramsey, N.J.) and sophomore Jessica DeSimone (Lincoln, R.I.) come out of the fall with the best record on the team in doubles play. Daffron and DeSimone finished the fall slate with a 3-6 record in doubles, collecting two of their wins in a tournament setting. They went 1-2 at No. 3 doubles, recording their first win against Hartford.