WORCESTER, Mass.— Freshmen Molly Montgomery (Winnetka, Ill.) and Maya Welch (Rye, N.Y.) won their first matches of the season but could not lift the Holy Cross women's tennis team to a victory, falling against Hartford, 4-3, at the Holy Cross Tennis Courts. With the result, the Crusaders complete the fall slate with a record of 0-5 while the Hawks move to a record of 2-2.
Montgomery won against Margaret Sabatino at No. 1 singles in straight sets, 6-0, 6-3 while Welch followed with a 6-4, 6-4 victory at No. 3 singles. Hartford would win the No. 2, No. 4, No. 5 and No. 6 matches. Holy Cross also won the doubles point, earning wins at No. 1 and No. 3 doubles.
The Crusaders end their fall season with the conclusion of today's match. The spring schedule will be announced at a later date
1. Molly Montgomery (HC) def. Margaret Sabatino (UH) - 6-0, 6-3
2. Katina Zampas (UH) def. Emily Marr (HC) def. (UH) – 6-2, 6-3
3. Maya Welch (HC) def. Ashley Harel (UH) – 6-4, 6-4
4. Nicole Haynal (UH) def. Mary McAuliffe (HC) – 6-1, 6-2
5. Lauren Coggins (UH) def. Emma Rudnik (HC) - 6-1, 6-2
6. Kaitlin Lennon (UH) def. Jen Daffron (HC) – 6-4, 6-2
1. Montgomery/Marr (HC) def. Sabatino/Harel (UH), 8-5
2. Zampas/Coggins(UH) def. Welch/McAuliffe (HC), 8-6
3. Daffron/DeSimone (HC) def. Haynal/Gileau (UH), 8-5