HARTFORD, Conn. – Junior Emily Marr (Jefferson, Mass.) came back after falling in the first set to post the lone point at No. 2 singles as the Holy Cross women's tennis team fell against Trinity, 6-1, at the brand new Assaiante Tennis Center. With the result, the Crusaders collect a record of 0-3 while the Bantams open up their dual match season with a record of 1-0.
Marr won her second-consecutive match at No. 2 singles against Trinity's Jill Stockloff. She fell in the first set, 6-2, but then regained her momentum to top Stockloff, 6-0, 6-1, to win the point. The Bantams would win all other singles matches as sophomore Jessica DeSimone (Lincoln, R.I.) returned to the starting lineup in the No. 6 singles spot. Trinity also won the doubles point, sweeping all the matches to round out the day with the final 6-1 score.
The Crusaders will participate in the Eastern Championship next, hosted by Army. The three-day competition will begin on Friday, Sept. 24 and run through Sunday, Sept. 26. Weather providing, matches will be played at both the Malek Courts (outdoor) and state-of-the-art Lichtenberg Tennis Center (indoor) in West Point, N.Y.
1. Hillary Hoyt (TC) def. Molly Montgomery (HC) - 6-4, 6-1
2. Emily Marr (HC) def. Jill Stockloff – 2-6, 6-0, 6-1
3. Regan Cherna (TC) def. Maya Welch (HC) – 6-2, 6-2
4. Arielle Leben (TC) def. Mary McAuliffe (HC) – 6-2, 6-4
5. Frances Cameron (TC) def. Jen Daffron (HC) - 6-0, 6-0
6. Elizabeth Gerba (TC) def. Jessica DeSimone (HC) – 6-0, 6-3
1. Hoyt/Cameron (TC) def. Montgomery/Welch (HC), 8-3
2. Stockloff/Cherna (TC) def. Marr/McAuliffe (HC), 8-3
3. Leben/Gerba (TC) def. Daffron/DeSimone (HC), 8-6