Overall Record: 0-0 (0-0 PL); Last
Scoreboard: 3rd of 8 at Salve Regina Doubles Invitational, Newport, R.I, 9/11
Schedule: Thursday, Sept. 16 at Providence, Providence, R.I., 3:30 p.m.
Saturday, Sept. 18 vs. Siena, Worcester, Mass., 1:00 p.m.
- The Holy Cross women's tennis team plays in its first dual matches this upcoming week, first traveling to Providence, R.I., on Thursday, Sept. 16 to take on Providence. The team then opens up at home against Siena on Saturday, Sept. 18 at the Holy Cross Tennis Courts in Worcester, Mass.
- The women will open up fall dual match play against the Friars starting at 3:30 p.m. on Thursday. The match will be held on the Providence College Tennis Courts. The Crusaders and Friars split the series last season, as Providence won 6-1 in September before Holy Cross took revenge with a 4-3 victory in the spring. Junior Emily Marr (Jefferson, Mass.) won in two straight sets, 6-1, 6-0, in the spring while also winning a doubles match in the fall.
- On Saturday, the team will play against Siena at home in Worcester, beginning at 1:00 p.m. Siena won the last meeting, 5-2, as Marr won her single match and then teamed up with junior Emma Rudnik (Lake Bluff, Ill.) to win their doubles set as well. Marr's victory came at No. 3 singles over Jessica Asselin, 7-5, 6-1. Marr and Rudnik won their No. 2 doubles match, 8-5, to round out the wins on the day for Holy Cross.
- The team participated at the Salve Regina Doubles Invitational held at the Tennis Hall of Fame in Newport, R.I., finishing in third place out of eight squads this past weekend. This was the first time in five years that the match did not need to be rescheduled due to inclement weather circumstances. The team also finished right where they did in 2009, earning six points for a third place finish.
- Making debuts on the court were freshmen Molly Montgomery (Winnetka, Ill.) and Maya Welch (Rye, N.Y.), who won their first collegiate match, topping Curry's first flight squad, 8-5, before falling in the second round. Marr and Rudnik tallied two wins together, losing in their first round match-up but then going on to win the consolation bracket, topping the Curry doubles team, 9-7, in the first round of consolation and then an 8-2 win over Assumption to win in the final round.