SMITHFIELD, R.I. – The Holy Cross women's tennis team would win the doubles point, but lost four of the six singles matches to fall 4-3 against Bryant at the Bryant Tennis Complex. With the final, the Crusaders tally a 4-6 record in spring competition, going to 6-9 overall while the Bulldogs notch a 5-12 overall record.
Holy Cross' tandem of sophomore Emily Marr (Jefferson, Mass.) and senior Ivette Konopka (Shelton, Conn.) earned the first doubles match point at No. 2, winning 8-5. Sophomore Emma Rudnik (Lake Bluff, Ill.) and senior Kathryn Wilkie (Oak Brook, Ill.) would finalize the point for the team, winning 8-6 in the No. 3 spot.
After the Crusaders lost in the No. 1 and No. 2 singles competition, Marr would tally a win at No. 3, as the Bryant player retired. Konopka tallied her second-consecutive straight-set victory at No. 5, winning 6-4, 6-3 to round out the point scoring for the Crusaders.
Holy Cross will next compete as the No. 6 seed against No. 3-seeded Navy in the 2010 Patriot League Tournament to complete to 2009-2010 season. The tournament will begin on Friday, April 16 and continue through Sunday, April 18. Colgate hosts the tournament as matches will be played on the Joseph Abrahamson Tennis Courts in Hamilton, N.Y.
2. Emily Marr/Ivette Konopka (HC) def. Irma Lockwood/Margonne Downing (BRYANT) - 8-5
3. Emma Rudnik/Kathryn Wilkie (HC) def. Katharine Francazeu /Dana Tausek (BRYANT) – 8-6
1. Hidalgo (BRYANT) def. Meahl (HC)- 6-2, 6-0
2. Cuervo (BRYANT) def. Chandley (HC) - 6-2, 6-0
3. Marr (HC) def. Downing (BRYANT) – 3-retired
4. Francazeu (BRYANT) def. Hailee Lange (HC) – 6-1, 6-2
5. Konopka (HC) def. Lockwood (BRYANT ) - 6-4, 6-3
6. Downing (BRYANT) def. Wilkie (HC) - 6-1, 6-1