Women's Tennis Tops Providence 4-3
– Four straight singles wins propelled the Holy Cross women's
tennis team to a 4-3 victory over Providence at the Providence
Tennis Courts. With the final, the Crusaders tally their second
straight win and a 4-5 record in spring competition, going to 6-8
overall while the Friars notch a 2-12 overall record.
Sophomore Emily Marr (Jefferson, Mass.) won in two straight sets, 6-1, 6-0 at No. 3 singles to begin a string of big wins for Holy Cross. Senior Hailee Lange (Miami, Fla.) followed with a tie breaker in her first set, going on to win in style at No. 4 singles, 7-6 (7-2), 6-3. Senior Ivette Konopka (Shelton, Conn.) and senior Kathryn Wilkie (Oak Brook, Ill.) then finished the day with straight set wins at No. 5 and No. 6 singles respectively.
Providence would earn the doubles point and the No. 1 and No. 2 victories, but it was not enough as the Crusaders finished with the 4-3 win.
Holy Cross will take on Patriot League foe Navy next on Friday, April 9. The match will be played at the Holy Cross Tennis Courts starting at 3:00 p.m. The match also serves as the final home competition for the women this season.
1. Aviles (PC) def. Meahl (HC)- 6-2, 6-0
2. Sinha (PC) def. Chandley (HC) - 6-1, 6-0
3. Marr (HC) def. Albert (PC) - 6-1, 6-0
4. Hailee Lange (HC) def. Ferry (PC) – 7-6 (7-2), 6-3
5. Konopka (HC) def. Cusack (PC )- 6-3, 6-0
6. Wilkie (HC) def. Maddock (PC) - 6-4, 6-4