Women's Tennis Earns 6-1 Win Over Hartford
WORCESTER, Mass. – The Holy Cross women's tennis team combined for seven wins out of nine total matches to take its second victory over Hartford this season, winning 6-1 at the Holy Cross Tennis Courts. With the final, the Crusaders tally a 3-5 record in spring competition, going to 5-8 overall while the Hawks notch a 2-12 overall record.
The women, who started the match with singles play, earned three quick victories as the No. 2, No. 4 and No. 5 spots. Sophomore Carolyn Chandley (Worcester, Mass.) won at No. 2, 6-2, 6-4 while senior Hailee Lange (Miami, Fla.) won at No. 4, 6-2, 6-2 and fellow senior Ivette Konopka (Shelton, Conn.) marked a 6-4, 6-4 win at No. 5.
The Crusaders continued their winning ways, taking two of the last three singles matches and earning the doubles point. Sophomore Emily Marr (Jefferson, Mass.) notched a 6-2, 6-0 win at No. 3 singles and senior Kathryn Wilkie (Oak Brook, Ill.) rounded out the day with a 6-1, 6-0 victory at No. 6.
Holy Cross will take on Patriot League foe Navy next on Friday, April 9. The match will be played at the Holy Cross Tennis Courts starting at 3:00 p.m. The match also serves as the final home competition for the women this season.
1. Blasque (HARTFORD) def. Meahl (HC)- 7-5, 6-1
2. Chandley (HC) def. Sabatino (HARTFORD) - 6-2, 6-4
3. Marr (HC) def. Haynal (HARTFORD) - 6-2, 6-0
4. Hailee Lange (HC) def. Amanda Epstein (HARTFORD) - 6-0, 6-2
5. Ivette Konopka (HC) def. Lennon (HARTFORD)- 6-4, 6-4
6. Wilkie (HC) def. Margaret Potkay (HARTFORD) - 6-1, 6-0