WEST POINT, N.Y. – The Holy Cross women's tennis team won four out six singles matches, including the first win of the spring by the No. 1 singles player, senior Kristen Meahl (Falmouth, Maine), earning a 5-2 win against Lafayette at the Malek Courts. With the decision, the Crusaders tally a 2-4 record in spring competition, going to 4-7 overall (1-1 Patriot League) while the Leopards mark a 3-5 overall record (0-2 Patriot League).
The Crusaders started strong, picking up the doubles point after earning wins at No. 2 and No.3 Sophomore Emily Marr (Jefferson, Mass.) and senior Ivette Konopka (Shelton, Conn.) teamed up for the second straight match at No. 2, topping Rachel Rohinsky and Emily Deluca 9-7. The No. 3 tandem of senior Kathryn Wilkie (Oak Brook, Ill.) and sophomore Emma Rudnik (Lake Bluff, Ill.) won their match 8-5.
Meahl highlighted singles play for the team, as she won her first spring match at No. 1 in three sets, 2-6, 6-2, 10-5. The other Crusaders won with ease. Marr took a 6-0, 6-0 victory at No. 3, senior Hailee Lange (Miami, Fla.) cruised 6-2, 6-0 for her third consecutive win at No. 4 and Wilkie tallied a 6-0,6-0 win at No. 6. Lafayette would end the day win one doubles victory and a win in the No. 2 and No. 5 singles spots.
Holy Cross completes the three-game stretch of Patriot League play tomorrow, March 28, taking on Lehigh The match will begin at 1:00 p.m. at the Malek Courts in West Point, N.Y.
1. Kristen Meahl/Carolyn Chandley vs. Kelsey Grad/Caitlin
Gordon: LC 8-5
2. Emily Marr/Ivette Konopka vs. Rachel Rohinsky/Emily Deluca: HC 9-7
3. Kathryn Wilkie/Emma Rudnik vs. Frawley Barton/Katherine Charchalis: HC 8-5
1. Kristen Meahl vs. Rachel Rohinsky: HC 2-6, 6-2, 10-5
2. Carolyn Chandley vs. Kelsey Grad: LC 6-1,6-1
3. Emily Marr vs. Caitlin Gordon: HC 6-0,6-0
4. Hailee Lange vs. Kate Herman: HC 6-2,6-0
5. Ivette Konopka vs. Emily Deluca: LC 1-6,6-4,10-8
6. Kathryn Wilkie vs. Katherine Charchalis: HC 6-0,6-0