Women's Tennis Loses Patriot League Match To Army, 6-1
WEST POINT, N.Y.
– The Holy Cross women's tennis team marked its first point
in program history against Army, the Patriot League preseason
favorite, but fell 6-1 at the Malek Courts in a four-hour long
match. With the loss, the Crusaders tally a 1-4 record in spring
competition, going to 3-7 overall (0-1 Patriot League) while the
Black Knights mark a 16-6 overall record, 3-0 Patriot League.
Senior Hailee Lange (Miami, Fla.) highlighted competition for Holy Cross, earning her first career win over a Black Knight player at No. 4 singles. She topped Army’s Maria Casletto in straight sets, 6-2, 6-2. The Black Knights would take the upper hand in the other five matches, however, earning wins at the No. 1, No. 2, No. 3, No. 5 and No. 6 spots.
The Crusaders saw a change in the doubles competition as sophomore Emily Marr (Jefferson, Mass.) and senior Ivette Konopka (Shelton, Conn.) teamed up in the No. 2 match while senior Kathryn Wilkie (Oak Brook, Ill.) and sophomore Emma Rudnik (Lake Bluff, Ill.) played together at No. 3 for the first time this spring. Army came away with wins in all three matches, finishing the day up by the final score of 6-1.
Holy Cross will continue Patriot League play tomorrow, March 27, taking on Lafayette. The match will begin at 6:00 p.m. at the Malek Courts in West Point, N.Y.
- Jurelle Mendoza/Patricia Vollmer (A) def. Kristen Meahl/Carolyn Chandley (H), 8-7 (2)
- Jessica Ahn/Audrey Hansen (A) def. Emily Marr/Ivette Konopka (H), 8-1
- Kari Pope/Maria Casaletto (A) def. Kathryn Wilkie/Emma Rudnik (H), 8-5
- Jessica Ahn (A) def. Kristen Meahl (H), 6-3, 6-1
- Patricia Vollmer (A) def. Carolyn Chandley (H), 6-1, 6-3
- Jurelle Mendoza (A) def. Emily Marr (H), 6-0, 6-2
- Hailee Lange (H) def. Maria Casaletto (A), 6-2, 6-2
- Holly Pappafotis (A) def. Ivette Konopka (H), 8-4
- Kari Pope (A) def. Kathryn Wilkie (H), 8-5