HAMDEN, Conn. – The Holy Cross women's tennis team could not tally a win in eight total matches, as Quinnipiac swept the Crusaders 7-0 at the Quinnipiac Tennis Courts. With the loss, the Crusaders fall to 0-3 in spring competition, going to 2-6 overall on the 2009-2010 season while the Bobcats collect a 6-3 overall record.
The top four Holy Cross singles players fell in the day’s action. Senior Kristen Meahl (Falmouth, Maine) fell for the seventh time this season at No. 1 singles, 6-3, 6-1. Sophomore Carolyn Chandley (Shrewsbury, Mass.) dropped a 6-1, 6-0 decision at No. 2 while fellow sophomore Emily Marr (Jefferson, Mass.) fell 6-0, 6-0 in the No. 3 spot. Senior Hailee Lange (Miami, Fla.) was topped in straight sets, 6-2, 6-0 as well.
The No. 5 singles player, senior Ivette Konopka (Shelton, Conn.) dropped a 6-3, 6-1 decision as did fellow senior Kathryn Wilkie (Oak Brook, Ill.) in the No. 6 spot. Quinnipiac picked up the doubles point as well after sweeping all three matches.
Holy Cross will next host Stonehill this Tuesday, March 23. Matches are set for 3:30 p.m. at the Holy Cross Tennis Courts in Worcester, Mass.
1. Mary Wilson/Adrienne Markison (QU) def. Kristen Meahl/Carolyn Chandley (HC) – 8-1
2. Rachel Cantor/Sarah Viebrock (QU) def. Emily Marr/ Emma Rudnik (HC) – 8-2
3. Shawna Sarson/Natalie Duckor (QU) def. Ivette Konopka/Kathryn Wilkie (HC) – 8-3
1. Wilson (QU) def. Meahl (HC) – 6-3, 6-1
2. Cantor (QU) def. Chandley (HC) – 6-1, 6-0
3. Markison (QU) def. Marr (HC) – 6-0, 6-0
4. Viebrock (QU) def. Hailee Lange (HC) – 6-2, 6-0
5. Duckor (QU) def. Konopka (HC) – 6-3, 6-1
6. Lisanne Steinert (QU) def. Wilkie (HC) – 6-0, 7-5