– Sophomore Emily Marr
Mass.) earned her first victory
in the No. 2 singles spot this season in straight sets, but the
Holy Cross women's tennis team could not compile a dual-match win
against Albany, falling 6-1 in the spring opener at the Holy Cross
Tennis Courts. With the loss the Crusaders gather a 0-2 record in
spring competition, going to 2-5 overall on the 2009-2010 season
while the Great Danes mark a 4-2 overall record.
Marr topped Albany’s Laine Mackey in straight sets, winning 6-4, 6-0 to earn the team’s lone singles win. Senior Kristen Meahl (Falmouth, Maine) picked up a 6-1 win in the first set at No. 1 singles, but then fell in the final two sets 6-0, 6-2, against Livia Gherman. Sophomore Jen Daffron (Ramsey, N.J.) played at the No. 6 singles spot for the first time this spring, but dropped two straight sets, 6-0, 7-5, to Melissa Coughlin.
The Holy Cross duo of senior Ivette Konopka (Shelton, Conn.) and Kathryn Wilkie (Oak Brook, Ill.) took the only doubles victory for the squad, winning at No. 3 doubles, 8-2. Albany won the No. 1 and No. 2 doubles matches to earn the doubles point. The win gives Konopka and Wilkie a 2-1 record when playing at No. 3.
Holy Cross will play at Quinnipiac tomorrow, March 20. Matches are set for 2:00 p.m. at the Quinnipiac Tennis Courts in Hamden, Conn.
1. Livia Gherman/Laine Mackey (UA) def. Kristen Meahl/Carolyn Chandley (HC) – 8-3
2. Caitlin Crowley/Aubrey Brooks (UA) def. Emily Marr/ Emma Rudnik (HC) – 8-2
3. Ivette Konopka/Kathryn Wilkie (HC) def. Melissa Coughlin/Sarah Iannone (UA) – 8-2
1. Gherman (UA) def. Meahl (HC) – 1-6, 6-0, 6-2
2. Marr (HC) def. Mackey (UA) – 6-4, 6-0
3. Crowley (UA) def. Hailee Lange (HC) – 6-3, 6-1
4. Brooks (UA) def. Konopka (HC) – 6-2, 6-1
5. Iannone (UA) def. Wilkie (HC) – 6-2, 6-2
6. Coughlin (UA) def. Jen Daffron (HC) – 6-0, 7-5