HAVEN, Conn. - The Holy Cross
women's tennis team spring opener was spoiled as the team took one
doubles match and lost each of the other eight matches, falling to
Sacred Heart 7-0 at the Yale Tennis Complex. The competition gives
the team a 0-1 record to start the spring slate, going to 2-4
overall on the 2009-2010 season.
The No. 3 doubles pair of Ivette Konopka (Shelton, Conn.) and Kathryn Wilkie (Oak Brook, Ill.) picked up the lone win for the Crusaders to highlight the match, earning a 8-2 win over Sacred Heart's Lindsey Scierka and Kristin Legenza. The Pioneers collected the two other doubles wins, taking the No. 1 and No. 2 match-ups.
Sacred Heart would also sweep the singles matches. Sophomore Emily Marr (Jefferson, Mass.) took her No. 3 match into three sets, but eventually fell 6-2, 7-6 (7-3).
Holy Cross will take two weeks off from competition before hosting Albany on Saturday, March 13. Matches are set to begin at 11:00 a.m. at the Holy Cross tennis courts in Worcester, Mass.
1. Kate Donnelly/Rebecca McMullin (SH) def. Kristen Meahl/Carolyn Chandley (HC)- 8-5
2. Ashley Amalfe (SH) def. Emily Marr/ Emma Rudnik (HC) - 8-3
3. Ivette Konopka/Kathryn Wilkie (HC) def. Lindsey Scierka/Kristin Legenza (SH) - 8-2
1. Donnelly (SH) def. Meahl (HC) - 6-3, 6-2
2. Darcy Demers (SH) def. Chandley (HC) - 6-4, 6-0
3. Elizabeth Harrington (SH) def. Marr (HC) - 6-2, 7-6 (7-3)
4. Kristin Chao (SH) def. Hailee Lange (HC) - 6-0, 6-0
5. Johanne Kasinow (SH) def. Konopka (HC) - 6-1, 6-0
6. Delaney Downing (SH) def. Wilkie (HC) - 6-3, 6-3