WORCESTER, Mass. - Holy Cross seniors shined in the third home event of the fall season, winning all of their singles matches Thursday as the women's tennis team topped the Merrimack Warriors by the 5-2 final at the Holy Cross Tennis Courts. With the win, Holy Cross finishes fall dual-meet action with a 2-3 record while Merrimack registers at 1-3.
Holy Cross won four of six singles matches. Picking up points for the team was sophomore Emily Marr (Jefferson, Mass.), who topped junior Amanda Carroll in straight sets, 6-3, 6-1, earning a team-high three wins on the fall season. Senior Hailee Lange (Miami, Fla.) won her first match at No. 4 singles, beating out sophomore Courtney Garvey, 8-3. Fellow seniors Ivette Konopka (Shelton, Conn.) and Kathryn Wilkie (Oak Bluff, Ill.) also won their matches at No. 5 and No. 6 singles respectively.
The Crusaders also took two of three doubles matches to pick up their fifth point. Senior Kristen Meahl (Falmouth, Maine) and sophomore Carolyn Chandley (Worcester, Mass.) topped the duo of senior Caitlin Dunn and Carroll, 8-2. Wilkie and sophomore Emma Rudnik (Lake Bluff, Ill.) captured the second victory against freshmen Kylie Waddington and Mollie Fitzgerald, 8-0. They end the fall season undefeated at No. 3 doubles.
Holy Cross wraps up its fall slate on October 17-18 when it competes at the New England Championship. Matches are held in Fairfield, Conn. and begin at 9 a.m.
1. Cristina Lucin (MC) def. Kristen Meahl (HC), 7-6, 7-6
2. Caitlin Dunn (MC) def. Carolyn Chandley (HC), 6-2, 6-0
3. Emily Marr (HC) def. Amanda Carroll (MC), 6-3, 6-1
4. Hailee Lange (HC) def. Courtney Garvey (MC), 8-3
5. Ivette Konopka (HC) def. Kylie Waddington (MC), 6-0, 6-1
6. Kathryn Wilkie (HC) def. Siobhan Licudine (MC), 6-0, 6-0
1. Meahl/Chandley (HC) def. Dunn/Carroll (MC), 8-2
2. Garvey/Lucin (MC) def. Marr/Konopka (HC), 8-3
3. Wilkie/Emma Rudnik (HC) def. Fitzgerald/Waddington (MC), 8-0