WORCESTER, Mass. - Providence swept the six singles matches to spoil the Holy Cross women's tennis team's home-opener by a score of 6-1 Thursday afternoon at the Holy Cross Tennis Courts. With the loss, the Crusaders fall to 0-1 overall while the Friars improve to 2-0 on the young season.
Picking up the points for Holy Cross were the two doubles teams of sophomore Emily Marr (Jefferson, Mass.) and senior Ivette Konopka (Shelton, Conn.) and senior Kathryn Wilkie (Oak Bluff, Ill.) and sophomore Emma Rudnik (Lake Bluff, Ill.). The Marr, Konopka tandem topped Providence's Courtney Burek and Brittany Maddock, 8-5. Wilkie and Rudnik won their doubles match against Melanie Albert and Melissa Ferry 8-6.
Providence was led by their No. 1 singles player Marisela Aviles-Duron who topped Holy Cross team captain Kristen Meahl (Falmouth, Maine) 6-0, 6-0. Aviles-Duron also teamed up with Ayushi Sinha as the No. 1 doubles team, beating Meahl and sophomore Carolyn Chandley (Worcester, Mass.) 8-4.
Holy Cross is next in action Sunday, Sept. 20 when it travels to Loudonville, N.Y. to take on Siena. The match is set to begin at 11:00 a.m.
1. Marisela Aviles-Duron (PC) def. Kristen Meahl (HC) - 6-0, 6-0
2. Ayushi Sinha (PC) def. Carolyn Chandley (HC) - 6-3, 4-6, 6-4
3. Melanie Albert (PC) def. Emily Marr (HC) - 3-6, 6-4, 6-2
4. Courtney Burek (PC) def. Ivette Konopka (HC) - 6-4, 6-4
5. Melissa Ferry (PC) def. Kathryn Wilkie (HC) - 7-6 (9-7), 1-6, 3-6
6. Jen Cusack (PC) def. Jen Daffron (HC) - 6-4, 5-7, 6-4
1. Aviles-Duron/Sinha (PC) def. Meahl/Chandley (HC) - 8-4
2. Marr/Konopka (HC) def. Burek/Maddock (PC) - 8-5
3. Wilkie/Rudnik (HC) def. Albert/Ferry (PC) - 8-6