Holy Cross Women's Tennis Swept By Massachusetts, 7-0
WORCESTER, Mass. -
Massachusetts swept all nine matches to defeat the Holy Cross
women's tennis team, 7-0, at the Holy Cross Tennis Courts Thursday
afternoon. With the loss the Crusaders drop to 1-3 on the season
while the Minutewomen improve to 1-0.
Massachusetts was led by Candynce Boney and Maude Lecluyse, who defeated senior Kristen Meahl (Falmouth, Maine) and sophomore Carolyn Chandley (Worcester, Mass.) at No. 1 doubles, 8-6. Boney and Lecluyse were coming off their No. 1 doubles title victory at the Eastern Collegiate Invitational last weekend in West Point, N.Y.
The Minutewomen were also paced by Maggie Ploch, who topped Meahl at No. 1 singles, 6-1, 6-0, and teamed with Julia Comas to defeat sophomores Emily Marr (Jefferson, Mass.) and Emma Rudnik (Lake Bluff, Ill.) at No. 2 doubles, 8-0. Marr had a tough battle with Boney at No. 3 singles but ultimately fell, 6-4, 6-2.
The Crusaders return to action Sunday, Oct. 4 when they travel to Newport, R.I. for the Salve Regina Doubles Invitational. The action is slated to begin at 1:00 p.m.
1. Maggie Ploch (MASS) def. Kristen Meahl (HC) 6-1, 6-0
2. Julia Comas (MASS) def. Carolyn Chandley (HC) 6-0, 6-0
3. Candynce Boney (MASS) def. Emily Marr (HC) 6-4, 6-2
4. Maude Lecluyse (MASS) def. Ivette Konopka (HC) 6-0, 6-3
5. Kaitlyn Carpenter (MASS) def. Kathryn Wilkie (HC) 6-0, 6-0
6. Tanisha Hodgson (MASS) def. Jen Daffron (HC) 6-2, 6-0
1. Lecluyse/Boney (MASS) def. Meahl/Chandley (HC) 8-6
2. Ploch/Comas (MASS) def. Marr/Emma Rudnik (HC) 8-0
3. Hodgson/Chantal Swiszcz (MASS) def. Wilkie/Konopka (HC) 8-4