September 8, 2009
Holy Cross Women's Tennis Set To Start Season
Schedule: Saturday, Sept. 12 at the Salve Regina Doubles Invitational, Newport, R.I., 1:00 p.m.
- The Holy Cross women's tennis team opens their season at the Salve Regina Doubles Invitational in Newport, R.I. Saturday, Sept. 12. The matches are set to begin at 1:00 p.m. Over the last few seasons, the Crusaders have typically begun their season at a tournament. Last year, sophomore Carolyn Chandley (Worcester, Mass.) won the Singles C-Flight championship and senior Kathryn Wilkie (Oak Brook, Ill.) won the Singles D-Flight championship as the women's team competed at the Siena Invitational. Senior Kristen Meahl (Falmouth, Maine) also received the tournament's Sportsmanship Award.
- Four seniors serve as the backbone of the Crusaders this season. In addition to Wilkie and Meahl, seniors Ivette Konopka (Shelton, Conn.) and Hailee Lange (Miami, Fla.) will be relied upon to provide leadership to the squad. Konopka had a strong season at singles, finishing up with a 12-7 record while also going 2-5 in doubles action. Lange saw most of her action at singles where she accumulated a 10-12 record. She finished the season 0-1 at doubles.
- Five sophomores round out the roster for Holy Cross. Chandley is joined by Jen Daffron (Ramsey, N.J.), Emily Marr (Jefferson, Mass.), Rosemary Moran (Concord, N.H.) and Emma Rudnik (Lake Bluff, Ill.).
- Holy Cross featured a league-best eight players on the Patriot League Academic Honor Roll last season. For Konopka and Meahl, it was their third consecutive time on the list.
- Lisa Meola is in her first season as head coach. She replaces Mike Lucas, who resigned in July with a record of 101-76 in 10 years as the women's head coach. Last year Meola served as an assistant coach for the Crusaders. Meola joined Holy Cross after seven seasons as the head coach of the Notre Dame Academy (Mass.) women's tennis team, accumulating a 137-7 record in seven seasons while winning three straight Division II state championships.