Softball To Open 2013 Season This Weekend
Schedule: Sunday, March 3, vs. South Dakota, Rebel Spring Games, Kissimmee, Fla., 11:00 a.m.
Sunday, March 3, vs. LaSalle, Rebel Spring Games, Kissimmee, Fla., 1:00 p.m.
- The Holy Cross softball team is set to being the 2013 season this week with its first two games at the Rebel Spring Games in Kissimmee, Fla. The Crusaders will take on South Dakota and LaSalle on Sunday, March 3. This is the 13th straight year the Crusaders have traveled south to the Rebel Spring Games.
- Senior Sam Fregenti (Melville, N.Y.) and junior Alex Gustafson (Medford, Mass.) will lead the 2013 team as co-captains. Fregenti started all 45 games for the Crusaders last season, leading the team with a .307 batting average, four home runs, 18 runs batted in, 39 hits, 57 total bases, a .449 slugging percentage and a .360 on-base percentage. She broke the Holy Cross career home run record just six games into the season and will enter the 2013 campaign with 19 career long balls. Gustafson started all but one game in 2012 and led the team with 11 multiple-hit games. She finished second behind Fregenti in batting average (.294), hits (37), runs batted in (12) and total bases (47) and was tied for second on the team in home runs with two.
- Head coach Brian Claypool enters his sixth season at the helm of the Holy Cross softball program. Last season, Claypool earned his 100th career coaching victory on March 6 against Yale. The team also handed eventual Patriot League champion Lehigh its first conference loss of the season in the final home league game for the Crusaders at Freshman Field. In 2011, Claypool led the Crusaders to their first Patriot League Tournament appearance since 2003, and was named the Patriot League Coach of the Year. Holy Cross' 18 wins were the most since 1999, and the 10 Patriot League wins were its most since 2003. Two Crusaders were named to the Patriot League All-Tournament team, while five earned All-Patriot League Honors.
- Junior pitcher Julia Barrett (Gardner, Mass.) enters the 2013 season ranked third all-time in Holy Cross history with a 2.52 earned run average. Last season, she compiled a team-low 2.23 earned run average while striking out 74 batters in 128 and two-thirds innings in the circle.
- Holy Cross will play 45 regular season games in 2013, beginning with 10 games against nine different opponents in six days at the Rebel Spring Games. The Crusaders will return north to play at the Stony Brook Invitational (Mar. 15-17), then play four road games before opening Patriot League play at Lafayette on March 30. The team will play a total of 16 home games at Freshman Field, including 12 of 20 conference games this season. The top four teams qualify for the Patriot League Tournament, scheduled for May 9-11, held at the site of the regular season champion.
- South Dakota has already played 14 games in 2013, holding a record of 7-7. The Coyotes will open up the Rebel Spring Games with two contests on March 2 before playing the Crusaders. LaSalle had its four season opening games at the Lancer Leadoff Tournament in Farmville, Va. cancelled due to the weather and will begin the season on March 2 in Kissimmee, also against South Dakota.
- Get all the latest news and results on the Holy Cross softball team sent directly to your e-mail. To sign up for e-mail alerts go here: http://www.goholycross.com/list-signup.