Softball To Host Central Connecticut In Final Season Series
Overall Record: 9-34 (4-16 PL), Last Week: 1-4
Scoreboard: Harvard 10, Holy Cross 0, Worcester, Mass., 4/26
Holy Cross 5, Colgate 2, Hamilton, N.Y., 4/28
Colgate 10, Holy Cross 2, Hamilton, N.Y., 4/28
Colgate 7, Holy Cross 2, Hamilton, N.Y., 4/29
Colgate 3, Holy Cross 0, Hamilton, N.Y., 4/29
Schedule: Wednesday, May 2 vs. Central Connecticut State (DH), Worcester, Mass., 3:00/5:00 p.m.
- The Holy Cross softball team will conclude its 2012 season on Wednesday, May 2, when it hosts Central Connecticut State for two games at Freshman Field beginning at 3:00 p.m. This will be the second time this season the Crusaders have faced the Blue Devils, with Central Connecticut taking the first game on March 22 in New Britain, Conn. by a score of 9-3.
- In the game earlier this season, senior Camille Trainor (Worcester, Mass.) and freshman Abigail Lang (Londonderry, N.H.) each homered to lead the Crusader offense. Sophomore Alex Gustafson (Medford, Mass.) went two-for-four and fellow classmate Kelliner Croushore (Claremont, Calif.) went two-for-three on the afternoon. Freshman pitcher Tori Cheske (Thomaston, Conn.) took the loss in the circle going five and two-thirds innings allowing just three earned runs and striking out four.
- Central Connecticut State enters the game with a record of 27-19 (9-9 NEC) and, with two Northeast Conference games remaining, is still in post-season contention. The Blue Devils are coming off a sweep of conference foe St. Francis (Pa.) on Monday (4/30). Offensively, Central Connecticut is led by Rebecca Mussatti who is hitting .357 on the season with 40 hits in 112 at-bats. Nicole Springer is batting .307 in 45 games with a team-high 10 home runs. In the circle, Laura Messina has a 1.97 earned run average with a record of 20-11 and 186 strike outs in 205.2 innings of work.
- The Crusaders are coming off its final Patriot League action losing three-of-four games to the Colgate Raiders over the weekend (4/28-4/29). Holy Cross finished the season with a 4-16 mark in the Patriot League. Lehigh, Army, Colgate and Lafayette will battle for the Patriot League Championship next weekend, May 10-12, at Kaufman Field in Bethlehem, Pa.
- Junior Sam Fregenti (Melville, N.Y.) leads the Holy Cross offense with a .303 batting average in 43 games this season. She also has a team-high three home runs and 17 runs batted in. She is tied with Croushore for the most doubled with six.
- Freshman Emma Keough (Rochester, Mass.) recorded her first start in the pitching circle of her collegiate career on Sunday (4/29) against Colgate. She went six complete innings allowing three runs on six hits while striking out two. Prior to Sunday, Keough's first action as pitcher came in relief against Siena on April 17.
- Sophomore Julia Barrett (Gardner, Mass.) holds a 2.33 earned run average for the season. She has tallied 74 strike outs in 128.2 innings of work.