April 24, 2012
Softball To Wrap Up Regular Season Patriot League Play This Week
Overall Record: 8-30 (3-13 PL), Last Week: 1-5
Scoreboard: Siena 10, Holy Cross 3, Worcester, Mass., 4/17
Siena 11, Holy Cross 0, Worcester, Mass., 4/17
Holy Cross 6, Bucknell 1, Lewisburg, Pa., 4/20
Bucknell 4, Holy Cross 3, nine innings, Lewisburg, Pa., 4/20
Bucknell 4, Holy Cross 2, Lewisburg, Pa., 4/21
Bucknell 3, Holy Cross 2, eight innings, Lewisburg, Pa., 4/21
Schedule: Thursday, April 26 vs. Harvard, Worcester, Mass., 4:00 p.m.
Saturday, April 28 vs. Colgate (DH), Hamilton, N.Y., 12:00/2:00 p.m.
Sunday, April 29 vs. Colgate (DH), Hamilton, N.Y., 12:00/2:00 p.m.
- The Holy Cross softball team will host one game versus Harvard and finish out conference action against Colgate this week. The Crusaders will welcome the Crimson to Freshman Field on Thursday, April 26, for a 4:00 p.m. contest and travel to Hamilton, N.Y. to take on Colgate on Saturday and Sunday, April 28-29, with doubleheaders beginning at 12:00 p.m. both days.
- Harvard has won the previous 23 meeting with the Crusaders dating back to the 1998 season when Holy Cross earned a 2-0 victory. Last season, Harvard outscored Holy Cross 21-5 in a doubleheader in Cambridge, Mass. Senior Gwen Reimer (Pottsville, Pa.) led the offense for the Crusaders going three-for-six with three runs batted in.
- Last year, Holy Cross hosted Colgate at Freshman Field and the Raiders took three games of the four-game series. After being swept on day one (4/24), the Crusaders split the doubleheader on day two (4/26) winning the second game by a score of 10-7. Junior Sam Fregenti (Melville, N.Y.) went three-for-three with three runs and five RBI with all three hits being home runs.
- Harvard (28-11, 15-1 IVY) enters Thursday's game having won 13 of its previous 15 contests. The team is led by senior Jane Alexander, who has a team-high .427 batting average over 39 games this season. As a whole, the Crimson is hitting .391. In the circle, senior Rachel Brown has a team-low 1.44 earned run average and record of 16-4 in 141.0 innings of work. She is four strike outs away from 200 on the season. Sophomore Laura Ricciardone has a 1.83 ERA in 20 appearances over 103.0 total innings.
- Colgate is currently 16-21 overall and has clinched a playoff berth with a 9-5 record in the Patriot League. The team is set to face Lehigh on Wednesday, April 25, before hosting the Crusaders over the weekend. The Raiders are led by junior Emma Dolfi who has a .315 batting average in108 at-bats over 37 games this season. As a whole, Colgate has a .233 team batting average. In the pitching categories, junior Courtney O'Connell has a team-low 2.43 earned run average and 9-9 record in 22 appearances (18 starts). The team ERA sits at 3.12.
- The Crusaders are coming off a tough four-game series with Bucknell having lost three of four to the Bison. Holy Cross will need to sweep this weekend's series with Colgate and have Bucknell take three of the four games versus Lafayette in order to make the Patriot League tournament as the fourth seed.
- In Friday's game one victory over Bucknell the Crusaders stole 10 bases, the most under head coach Brian Claypool. The previous mark was eight thefts against Dayton at the Rebel Spring Games in Kissimmee, Fla. on March 1, 2010. Freshman Emma Keough (Rochester, Mass.) saw her first career action in the pitching circle against Siena last Tuesday (4/17). She faced 12 batters over three innings of work and allowed one run on four hits.
- Sophomore Alex Gustafson (Medford, Mass.) and Fregenti lead the Crusaders with .306 batting averages. Sophomore Julia Barrett (Gardner, Mass.) remains atop the pitching statistics with a 2.06 ERA.