Overall Record: 7-25 (2-10 PL), Last Week: 3-3
Scoreboard: Holy Cross 12, Hartford 4, five innings, Worcester, Mass., 4/12
Holy Cross 6, Hartford 4, Worcester, Mass., 4/12
Lehigh 7, Holy Cross 0, Worcester, Mass., 4/14
Lehigh 5, Holy Cross 1, Worcester, Mass., 4/14
Lehigh 10, Holy Cross 0, five innings, Worcester, Mass., 4/15
Holy Cross 2, Lehigh 1, Worcester, Mass., 4/15
Schedule: Tuesday, April 17 vs. Siena (DH), Worcester, Mass., 3:00/5:00 p.m.
Saturday, April 21 vs. Bucknell (DH), Lewisburg, Pa., 1:00/3:00 p.m.
Sunday, April 22 vs. Bucknell (DH), Lewisburg, Pa., 12:00/2:00 p.m.
- The Holy Cross softball team will conclude its 12-game home stand this week and hit the road to face the Bucknell Bison this weekend. The Crusaders will host Siena on Tuesday, April 17, for a doubleheader beginning at 3:00 p.m. and then head to Lewisburg, Pa. for a four-game series with two on Saturday, April 21, beginning at 1:00 p.m. and two more on Sunday, April 22, beginning at 12:00 p.m.
- This will be the third year in a row the Crusaders battle the Siena Saints, having split doubleheaders in the previous two years. Last season in Loudonville, N.Y. Siena took game one by a score of 11-5 but the Crusaders won game one 5-2. Junior Sam Fregenti (Melville, N.Y.) went three-for-three with two RBI in game one and senior Gwen Reimer (Pottsville, Pa.) went two-for-three with one RBI to lead the Crusaders. Graduate Erin Fleming also went to two-for-four with two RBI in game two. In 2010, the Crusaders took game one by a score of 10-3 but lost a close game two by a score of 2-1.
- Last season, Holy Cross hosted Bucknell at Freshman Field and lost games one and two on Saturday (4/16) but responded on Sunday (4/17) with 4-2 and 2-0 victories. Graduate Caitlin Belanger had four hits in the Crusader victories and recorded a save in game three and victory in game four of the series. Reimer went two-for-two with two runs and two RBI in game one of the four-game series. Sophomore Alex Gustafson (Medford, Mass.) and senior Nicole Ortiz (Whittier, Calif.) each went one-for-three with one RBI in game two, Fleming went one-for-three with an RBI in game three and Gustafson went one-for-two with one RBI in game four to lead the Crusaders.
- Siena (12-21, 4-2 MAAC) enters Tuesday's game with Holy Cross on a five-game winning streak dating back to an 8-1 win versus Colgate on April 12. This past weekend, the Saints swept doubleheaders against MAAC opponents Manhattan (4/14) by scores of 7-1 and 10-2 and Saint Peter's (4/15) by scores of 12-0 and 5-0. Siena is led by junior Shannon Jones who has 44 hits in 101 at-bats for a .436 batting average. The Saints have a team batting average of .274 in 33 games. In the circle, senior Amanda Filippazzo leads the team with a 2.91 ERA and 7-9 record in 20 appearances, recording 57 strike outs in 106.0 innings. Sophomore Jessika – Jo Sandrini is second on the team in both hitting and pitching categories with a .371 batting average in 32 games and 3.09 ERA with 94 strike outs in 102.0 innings of work.
- Bucknell (6-29, 0-12 PL) has lost 10 straight games dating back to April 4 when the Bison earned a 5-2 victory over La Salle. The team has been swept in its previous three Patriot League conference series losing to Colgate (3/31-4/1), Lehigh (4/7-8) and Army (4/14-15). The Bison will travel to Loretto, Pa. on Tuesday for a double header against St. Francis before hosting the Crusaders this weekend. Bucknell is led by senior Meredith Dickson who has a .293 batting average in 32 games this season. Sophomore Mallory Lyons leads the team with three home runs. Junior Bridget Gates has a team low 4.00 ERA but junior Alex MacLean leads the team with 23 starts and 29 appearances, striking out 59 batters in 114.1 innings.
- The Crusaders are coming off a .500 week having swept a doubleheader versus Hartford (4/12) and gone 1-3 against conference frontrunner Lehigh (4/14-15). Holy Cross lost the first three games of the series with the Mountain Hawks but rallied back from a 1-0 deficit with two outs in the bottom of the seventh inning of game four to score two runs on three hits and earn the 2-1 victory in walk-off fashion. Fregenti sparked the rally by doubling down the right field line and Gustafson and Ortiz followed with back-to-back singles to hand Lehigh its first Patriot League loss of the season.
- Sophomore Kelliner Croushore (Claremont, Calif.) continues to lead the Crusaders with a .295 batting average despite having her team-high nine game hitting streak snapped in game one versus Lehigh. Gustafson batted .375 on the week with a .875 slugging percentage in six games. She had six hits and three RBI including her second home run of the season in game one versus Hartford.
- Senior Camille Trainor (Worcester, Mass.) showed her versatility once again as she caught the first game and pitched the second game of the twin bill versus Hartford. The Crusaders earned victories in both games with Trainor throwing seven complete innings allowing two earned runs and four hits with three strike outs in the circle.
- Sophomore Julia Barrett (Gardner, Mass.) pitched a gem in the Crusaders' victory over Lehigh on Sunday allowing just one run on six hits and striking out three in seven complete innings of work. She continues to lead the team with a 2.13 ERA over 101.2 innings.