Overall Record: 2-12 (0-0 PL), Last Week: 0-2
Scoreboard: Stony Brook 7, Holy Cross 0, Stony Brook, N.Y., 3/17
Stony Brook 10, Holy Cross 1, 5 innings, Stony Brook, N.Y., 3/17
Schedule: Thursday, March 22 at Central Connecticut, New Britain, Conn., 4:00 p.m.
Saturday, March 24 vs. Marist, Worcester, Mass., 1:00 p.m.
Saturday, March 24 vs. Marist, Worcester, Mass., 3:00 p.m.
- The Holy Cross softball team will play three games this week including its first home games of the season at Freshman Field. The team is set to travel to Central Connecticut for one game against the Blue Devils on Thursday, March 22, at 4:00 p.m. The Crusaders will then play host to Marist in a doubleheader on Saturday, March 24, beginning at 1:00 p.m.
- Last season, Holy Cross hosted Central Connecticut for a doubleheader on May 3. The Crusaders dropped both games of the doubleheader by scores of 3-2 and 5-0. Junior Sam Fregenti (Melville, N.Y.) went three-for-three in game one and senior Camille Trainor (Worcester, Mass.) earned the only Holy Cross RBI after hitting a sacrifice fly in the bottom of the seventh. Fregenti and Trainor each went two-for-three in game two but it was not enough as the Crusaders were shut out in its final home game of the season. Holy Cross split a doubleheader against Marist on the road last season (3/26) belting four home runs in the first game to win 8-3. Fregenti tallied two home runs while sophomore Alex Gustafson (Medford, Mass.) and graduate Tiffany Medwid each added a homer of their own. The team suffered a close 3-2 loss in game two with graduate Erin Fleming knocking a fifth ball out of the park for the Crusaders on the day.
- Central Connecticut began its season taking on nationally ranked No. 4 Arizona State in four games in Tempe, Ariz. The Blue Devils lost all four games but went on to win 12 of its next 15 to bring its current record to 12-7. Central Connecticut split a doubleheader against Yale on March 15, a team Holy Cross defeated 7-6 at the Rebel Spring Games earlier this season. Most recently, the Blue Devils tallied 4-0 and 5-3 victories in a doubleheader against Norfolk State on Monday, March 19. The team will play another doubleheader against Norfolk State today, March 20, and a doubleheader at Coppin State on Wednesday, March 21 before returning home to host the Crusaders.
- Marist began its season with three games on Feb. 18, then went on to play in the North Carolina A&T Tournament in Greensboro, N.C. and Patriot Classic in Fairfax, Va. compiling a record of 4-7. The Red Foxes then traveled to Honolulu, Hawaii for 10 games in six days including six games against five opponents ranked in the top 25, nationally. The team went 3-7 to bring its current overall record to 7-14. Marist will take on Yale in a doubleheader on Wednesday, March 21, before traveling to Worcester on Saturday, March 24.
- The Crusaders struggled in its first action since returning to the northeast from Florida losing both games of a doubleheader versus Stony Brook (3/17). The Crusaders suffered a no-hit loss to Stony Brook starting pitcher Allison Cukrov. It was the first time Holy Cross had been no-hit since March 9, 2007, when it lost 4-0 to Tennessee State in Kissimmee, Fla. Gustafson generated the only run of the series against the Seawolves when she led-off game two with a solo home run for her first of the season. Gustafson now has five career home runs.
- Freshman Ashleigh Vargas (Wakefield, Mass.) remains atop the Crusader stat sheet with a .308 batting average with a minimum of 10 at-bats. Vargas holds a .455 average with a runner on-base and a .556 average with runners in scoring position. She has a team-high 12 hits including three multiple-hit games.