Overall: 18-26; Last Week: 2-3
Scoreboard: Holy Cross 6, Boston University 4, Worcester, Mass., 4/26
Lehigh 3, Holy Cross 0, Bethlehem, Pa., 4/30
Holy Cross 1, Lehigh 0, Bethlehem, Pa., 4/30
Lehigh 5, Holy Cross 4, Bethlehem, Pa., 5/1
Lehigh 8, Holy Cross 5, Bethlehem, Pa., 5/1
Schedule: Tuesday, May 3, vs. Central Connecticut State (DH), Worcester, Mass., 3:00/5:00 p.m.
Thursday, May 5, at Hartford (DH), West Hartford, Conn., 3:00/5:00 p.m.
- The Holy Cross softball team (18-26 overall, 10-10 Patriot League) wraps up the 2011 regular season with a pair of doubleheaders this week. On Tuesday, May 1, Holy Cross will close out the season at Freshman Field with a pair of games against Central Connecticut State (25-20-1 overall, 11-9 NEC), while on Thursday, May 5, it travels to Hartford (7-33 overall, 2-13 America East) for two.
- Central Connecticut wrapped up league play with a pair of wins over Mount St. Mary's to earn a program-best 11 league wins. The Blue Devils are looking to make it to the NEC Tournament for the first time in program history and must wait on the completion of games throughout the league before tournament field is announced.
- Last season, Holy Cross split a pair of games on the road at Central Connecticut. The Crusaders were shut out in the first game before rebounding for a 9-7 win in game two. The Crusaders and the Blue Devils are an even 3-3 under the guidance of head coach Brian Claypool, having split a doubleheader in each of Claypool's three previous seasons.
- The Crusaders will close out the 2011 regular season on the road at Hartford. Last season, the Crusaders dropped a pair of games at Freshman Field to the Hawks, 11-8 and 7-3. Thursday's game will mark Hartford's final home game of the season and prior to the first pitch the Hawks will host a Senior Day ceremony to honor their seniors.
- The midweek games will serve as preparation for the Patriot League Tournament in Hamilton, N.Y. on May 12-14. Holy Cross has received the third seed and will play Lehigh in the first round. Regular season champion, Colgate, will take the field against Army. Game times are set to be announced later in the week.
- Holy Cross' two wins last week moved the team to 18 on the season, the most since1999 when the Crusaders finished with an overall record of 24-25. The 10 Patriot League wins are the most for the Crusaders since 2003 when they also finished with a league record of 10-10.
- The Crusaders' win over Boston University was their first win over the Terriers since April 22, 1989, when they swept BU, 2-1 and 4-1, at Freshman Field.
- The Crusaders keep working their way up the career record list. Senior Erin Fleming (Townsend, Mass.) has recorded 524 at bats, second all time. Senior Keeley Seniuk (Phoenix, Ariz.) ranks second with 93 runs scored, third with 168 career hits, tied for first with 38 doubles, first with 16 home runs and first with 89 RBI. Senior Caitlin Belanger (Fall River, Mass.) ranks second with 51 career walks and first with 54 career stolen bases.
- The 2011 season has seen its share of records broken. Belanger's 37 runs scored set a new single-season record, while her 56 hits are a school best and her 23 walks are second best. Junior Gwen Reimer's (Pottsville, Pa.) 14 doubles are tied for second, while sophomore Sam Fregenti's (Melville, N.Y.) nine home runs and 31 RBI set new single-season records.