Overall: 6-10; Last Week: 1-1
Scoreboard: Holy Cross 8, Marist 3, Poughkeepsie, N.Y., 3/26
Marist 3, Holy Cross 2, Poughkeepsie, N.Y., 3/26
Schedule: Wednesday, March 30, vs. Rhode Island (DH), Worcester, Mass., 3:00/5:00 p.m.
Saturday, April 2, at Lafayette (DH), Easton, Pa., 12:00/2:00 p.m.
Sunday, April 3, at Lafayette (DH), Easton, Pa., 12:00/2:00 p.m.
- The Holy Cross softball team (6-10 overall) will open the 2011 season at Freshman Field on Wednesday, March 30 when it hosts Rhode Island (1-21 overall) in a two-game set. The Crusaders will open Patriot League play in Easton, Pa. on Saturday, April 2 when they battle Lafayette (1-20 overall) in a four-game series.
- Rhode Island will travel to Harvard on Tuesday, March 29 before making the trip to Worcester on Wednesday, March 30. The Rams suffered four conference losses last weekend, falling to St. Joseph's and Temple in a pair of doubleheaders. Rhode Island picked up its lone win of the year on March 4 in an eight inning, 6-5, victory over Drexel.
- Holy Cross last took the field against Rhode Island on April 18, 2006, suffering a pair of losses in Kingston, R.I. From 1999-2006, the two teams were annual competitors with the Rams owning an all-time record of 12-4 against the Crusaders over eight seasons.
- The Leopards most recently suffered a pair of losses at Manhattan on Saturday, March 26. Four of Lafayette's 20 losses have been to the Manhattan Jaspers. Lafayette's only win of the season so far was on March 16 at the Rebel Spring Games. The Leopards defeated Rider, 5-2, in the final game of their trip to Kissimmee, Fla.
- Last season, Holy Cross went 3-1 against Lafayette at Freshman Field. Head coach Brian Claypool is 6-6 all-time against the Leopards, as the Crusaders were swept in 2008 and went 3-1 in 2009.
- Senior Keeley Seniuk (Phoenix, Ariz.) marked her 12th RBI of the season and 71st of her career against Marist, moving her just one RBI away from tying the Holy Cross all-time RBI career record of 72.
- Sophomore Sam Fregenti (Melville, N.Y.) tied her season-total of four from a year ago when she hit two home runs in Holy Cross' 8-3 win over Marist. The sophomore slugger's four home runs are tied for fifth on the single-season record list and her eight career home runs are tied for sixth all-time. Seniuk has three homers so far this season, ranking her second-all time with 14 career bombs, while senior Erin Fleming (Townsend, Mass.) has hit two over the fence, moving her into fourth all-time with 12 career home runs.
- Senior Caitlin Belanger (Fall River, Mass.) extended her hit streak to 12 games against Marist, recording two hits in the first game and one in the second. Belanger has hit safely in 15 of 16 games.
- Belanger leads the Patriot League with a .500 batting average. Belanger has recorded 27 hits in 54 at bats. Her .542 on base percentage also tops the league, while her .630 slugging percentage ranks second. In the last NCAA statistic update on March 22, Belanger's .500 batting average ranked fourth in NCAA Division I, while she was 34th on the toughest to strike out list, averaging just one strike out every 24 at bats.
- Freshman pitchers Kali Haas (Longmont, Colo.) and Julia Barrett (Gardner, Mass.) rank third and fourth in league pitching statistics, Haas with a 1.85 ERA and Barrett with a 2.00 ERA. Barrett has held opponents to a league-best .224 batting average, while Haas ranks ninth with an opponent batting average of .279.