Crusaders Set For Marist
Overall: 5-9; Last Week: 1-3
Scoreboard: Fairfield 11, Holy Cross 2 (6 innings), at Stony Brook Invitational, Stony Brook, N.Y., 3/19
Stony Brook 5, Holy Cross 2, at Stony Brook Invitational, Stony Brook, N.Y., 3/19
Holy Cross 2, Fairfield 1, at Stony Brook Invitational, Stony Brook, N.Y., 3/20
Stony Brook 4, Holy Cross 3 (9 innings), at Stony Brook Invitational, Stony Brook, N.Y., 3/20
Schedule: Saturday, March 26, at Marist, Poughkeepsie, N.Y., 1:00 p.m.
Saturday, March 26, at Marist, Poughkeepsie, N.Y., 3:00 p.m.
- The Holy Cross softball team (5-9 overall) will travel to Poughkeepsie, N.Y. on Saturday for a two-game set against Marist starting at 1:00 p.m. The Crusaders were scheduled to open the season at Freshman Field on Tuesday, March 22, but inclement weather forced the postponement of the doubleheader to a later date.
- The Red Foxes (11-12 overall) will play Yale on March 23 before welcoming the Crusaders to the Softball Park at Gartland Athletic Field on Saturday, March 26. After starting the season off with six straight losses, Marist earned back-to-back wins over Brown and Maryland Eastern Shore and have compiled an 11-6 record since that those wins.
- Holy Cross and Marist last took the field on April 16, 2003 in Worcester with Holy Cross coming out on top in the doubleheader, winning the first game 2-0 and defeating the Foxes, 3-2, in 10 innings in game two.
- Senior Keeley Seniuk (Phoenix, Ariz.) picked up two more RBI over the weekend to move into second all-time at Holy Cross with 70 career RBI. Alycia FitzPatrick holds the all-time record with 72.
- Senior Caitlin Belanger (Fall River, Mass.) recorded a hit in all four games last weekend to extend her hitting streak to 10 games. Belanger has recorded a hit in 13 of 14 games this year and leads the team with 24.
- Belanger struck out a season-high 10 batters in the win over Fairfield on Sunday, March 20. She has started in five games this season, striking out 22 batters, walking five and recording a 2.43 ERA.
- Belanger leads the Patriot League and the Crusaders with a .500 batting average. In 48 at-bats she has recorded 24 hits, scored 11 runs and marked seven RBI. The senior pitcher/second baseman also leads the league with a .538 on-base percentage and ranks second with a .625 slugging percentage.
- Freshman pitcher Julia Barrett (Gardner, Mass.) holds a league-leading .190 opponent batting average. In 23 innings of work, Barrett has given up 16 hits and five walks, while striking out 15. Her 1.52 ERA ranks third in the league.