March 15, 2011
Crusaders Hit The Road For Stony Brook Invitational
Overall: 4-6; Last Week: 3-3
Scoreboard: Pennsylvania 6, Holy Cross 2, at Rebel Spring Games, Kissimmee, Fla., 3/8
Holy Cross 6, Wagner 3, at Rebel Spring Games, Kissimmee, Fla., 3/8
Sacred Heart 1, Holy Cross 0, at Rebel Spring Games, Kissimmee, Fla., 3/11
Temple 7, Holy Cross 5, at Rebel Spring Games, Kissimmee, Fla., 3/11
Holy Cross 8, Manhattan 0, at Rebel Spring Games, Kissimmee, Fla., 3/12
Holy Cross 7, Yale 4, at Rebel Spring Games, Kissimmee, Fla., 3/12
Schedule: Saturday, March 19, at Stony Brook Invitational vs. Fairfield, Stony Brook, N.Y., 10:30 a.m.
Saturday, March 19, at Stony Brook Invitational vs. Stony Brook, Stony Brook, N.Y., 12:30 p.m.
Sunday, March 20, at Stony Brook Invitational vs. Fairfield, Stony Brook, N.Y., 12:30 p.m.
Sunday, March 20, at Stony Brook Invitational vs. Stony Brook, Stony Brook, N.Y., 2:30 p.m.
- The Holy Cross softball team (4-6 overall) returns north for the Stony Brook Invitational on Saturday-Sunday, March 19-20. Stony Brook will host the three-team tournament and the Crusaders will play a pair of games against the Stony Brook Seawolves and Fairfield Stags. This will be the third consecutive season that the Crusaders have played in the Stony Brook Invitational.
- Stony Brook (5-8 overall) earned three wins in four games at the NC State Wolfpack Challenge on March 11-12. The Seawolves opened the tournament with a loss to Fairfield before rebounding for wins over NC State, Charleston Southern and James Madison. Last season, Holy Cross suffered a 4-3 loss to Stony Brook in nine innings of action, while in 2009 it fell by a score of 6-4.
- Fairfield owns a 5-5 overall record and will play against UConn on March 16 before taking the field against Holy Cross at the Stony Brook Invitational. The Stags won three of five games at the NC State Wolfpack Challenge on March 11-13, including a 4-1 win over Stony Brook. Last season at the Stony Brook Invitational, the Crusaders suffered an 8-4 loss to Fairfield and in 2009, Holy Cross was defeated by a score of 7-0.
- Holy Cross opened the season at the Rebel Spring Games, playing in 10 games and returning to Worcester with four wins. Senior Caitlin Belanger (Fall River, Mass.) led the team with a .486 batting average in 10 games, recording 17 hits and scoring nine runs. Belanger swiped four bases while in Florida, giving her 41 career stolen bases at Holy Cross and moving her into second on the career record list. The senior pitcher is currently on leading the team with a six-game hitting streak.
- Senior Keeley Seniuk (Phoenix, Ariz.) belted three home runs on the road trip to move into second all-time at Holy Cross with 14 career home runs. Seniuk also added nine RBI to her career total, moving her into a tie for third with 68 career RBI.
- Freshman Julia Barrett (Gardner, Mass.) earned Patriot League Rookie of the Week honors after earning two wins and one save in last week's action. Barrett returned from Florida with a team-leading 0.93 ERA in 10 innings, allowing two earned runs and 10 hits. Barrettt struck out 10 batters and walked four. She is just the third Crusader to be named Rookie of the Week.
- Holy Cross will open the 2011 season at Freshman Field on March 22 with a doubleheader against Central Connecticut State. First pitch is set for 3:00 p.m.