Crusaders Set To Kick Off 2011 Season In Florida
Overall: 0-0; Last Week: 0-0
Scoreboard: No scheduled games.
Schedule: Sunday, March 6, at Rebel Spring Games vs. Indiana State, Kissimmee, Fla., 3:00 p.m.
Sunday, March 6, at Rebel Spring Games vs. South Dakota, Kissimmee, Fla., 5:00 p.m.
Monday, March 7, at Rebel Spring Games vs. La Salle, Kissimmee, Fla., 9:00 a.m.
Monday, March 7, at Rebel Spring Games vs. Robert Morris, Kissimmee, Fla. 11:00 a.m.
- The Holy Cross softball team will kick off the 2011 season on Sunday, March 6 at the Rebel Spring Games in Kissimmee, Fla. Over the course of seven days, the Crusaders will play 12 games against 12 different opponents.
- The 2011 Crusaders return 12 letterwinners from last year's squad, including six starters and four pitchers. Fourth-year head coach Brian Claypool has amassed a 37-96 record in three seasons in Worcester, including a 14-31 record a year ago.
- Five seniors will take the field this season, including shortstop Tiffany Medwid (Imperial, Pa.), starting pitcher/second baseman Caitlin Belanger (Fall River, Mass.), outfielders Keeley Seniuk (Phoenix, Ariz.) and Erin Fleming (Townsend, Mass.) and pitcher Katie Alexander (Tigard, Ore.). The senior class has combined for 428 starts in three years and has been a part of all 37 of Claypool's wins on the hill.
- The class of 2011 is looking to leave its mark on the Holy Cross record books as Seniuk currently ranks fourth on the career double list with 27, third on the career home run list with 11, tied for sixth with 59 RBI, fifth with 34 stolen bases, sixth with a .317 batting average and second with a .496 slugging percentage. Fleming is fourth all-time with 10 home runs, tied for sixth with 59 RBI and fourth with a .442 slugging percentage. Belanger and Medwid are working their way up the career stolen base list; Belanger sits in a tie for third with 37 stolen bases, while Medwid ranks sixth with 33.
- Holy Cross will take the field against Indiana State (3-5 overall) for the first time in program history. The Sycamores are located in Terre Haute, Ind. and are members of the Missouri Valley Conference. Indiana State opened its season on Feb. 12 at the UL-Monroe Tournament. The Sycamores have picked up wins against Northwestern State, Samford and Lipscomb, while falling to Southeast Missouri State, Eastern Illinois twice, UL-Monroe and Eastern Kentucky.
- A year ago at the Rebel Spring Games, Holy Cross earned an 8-1 win over South Dakota in its final game of the trip. The Coyotes opened the season on Feb. 11 at the Northern Iowa Dome Tournament, beating Texas-El Paso and falling to UNI, Drake and Wisconsin-Green Bay. USD will open play at the Rebel Spring Games on March 5 with a doubleheader against Eastern Kentucky.
- In 2003, Holy Cross suffered an 11-0, five inning loss to La Salle at the Rebel Spring Games, the last time the two teams met. That season, the Crusaders suffered eleven straight losses before rebounding for a 15-28 overall record, including a 10-10 record in league play and Patriot League Tournament berth. The Explorers opened the season on Feb. 25 in Spartanburg, S.C., losing to Oakland and Howard before defeating Lafayette. La Salle closed out the weekend with a loss to USC Upstate.
- The Crusaders last took the diamond against Robert Morris in 2006 in the team's season-opening game at the Rebel Spring Games. The Crusaders suffered a 4-0 loss to the Colonials and ended the spring break trip with an overall record of 3-7. Robert Morris opened the season at the The Green and White Tournament in Charlotte, N.C. on Feb. 25. The Colonials finished with a 2-3 record, falling to Charlotte in the championship game of the tournament.