Crusaders Set For Home Opener, Kick Off League Play
Overall Record: 4-12 (0-0 Patriot League)
Last Week: 0-2
Scoreboard: Boston University 12, Holy Cross 5, Boston, Mass., 3/27
Boston University 13, Holy Cross 3 (5), Boston, Mass., 3/27
Schedule: Wednesday, March 31, vs. Hartford (DH), Worcester, Mass., 3:00 p.m./5:00 p.m.
Saturday, April 3, at Bucknell (DH), Lewisburg, Pa., 12:00 p.m./2:00 p.m.
Sunday, April 4, at Bucknell (DH), Lewisburg, Pa., 12:00 p.m./2:00 p.m.
- The Holy Cross softball team (4-12) opens the season at Freshman Field with a doubleheader against Hartford on Wednesday, March 31. The Crusaders will open Patriot League action with a four-game series against Bucknell on Saturday-Sunday, April 3-4 in Lewisburg, Pa.
- Hartford (8-6) travels to Worcester after going 1-2 in its home opening series with Maine over the weekend. The Hawks spent a week at the Rebel Spring Games where they went 5-3, including wins against Colgate and Lafayette.
- The Crusaders are 3-5 against Hartford in the past four seasons, including a 2-2 record under the guidance of head coach Brian Claypool. Last season, the Crusaders suffered two, 2-1 losses at Hartford.
- Bucknell (7-7) will play a doubleheader at Drexel on March 31 before hosting its home opener and kicking off Patriot League action against Holy Cross on April 3-4. The Bison are currently on a two-game win streak as they went 2-1 against Coppin State over the weekend.
- Holy Cross holds a 4-12 record against Bucknell over the last four seasons. Last year the Crusaders went 2-2 against Bucknell at Freshman Field, splitting games on both days of the doubleheaders.
- Holy Cross has attempted 3.2 stolen bases per game, more than any other Patriot League team. The Crusaders rank second with 39 stolen bases, while Bucknell is last with just seven. Junior Caitlin Belanger (Fall River, Mass.) is third in the Patriot League with 10 stolen bases.
- The Bison have a .314 team batting average, which is second in the league, while Holy Cross is third with a .288 team batting average.
- Holy Cross’ four wins rank last in the league, while Bucknell’s seven are second to last. Colgate has a league-leading 17 wins.
- Bucknell pitchers have allowed the most walks in the league (30) and struck out the least number of batters (48). Holy Cross has allowed 44 walks and ranks fifth with 55 strike outs. Holy Cross has a team ERA of 4.69, which is fourth in the league, while Bucknell ranks fifth. Junior Katie Alexander (Tigard, Ore.) ranks second in the league with a 2.55 ERA. Alexander’s eight earned runs allowed are the fewest in the league.
- Bucknell’s Lauren Fry is second in the Patriot League with a .425 batting average. Holy Cross freshman Sam Fregenti (Melville, N.Y.) ranks fourth with a team-leading .421 batting average. Fry’s .540 on-base percentage ranks third and Fregenti’s .511 ranks fourth.
- Claypool has an 11-29 Patriot League record in his first two seasons with the Crusaders. Holy Cross is looking to return to the Patriot League Tournament for the first time since the 2003 season. The Crusaders won the Patriot League title in 1998.