Crusaders Return To The Diamond For Five Games This Week
Overall Record: 4-5 (0-0 Patriot League)
Last Week: 0-0
Scoreboard: No scheduled games
Schedule: Tuesday, March 16, at Bryant, Smithfield, R.I., 4:00 p.m.
Saturday, March 20, at Stony Brook, Stony Brook Invitational, Stony Brook, N.Y., 12:00 p.m.
Saturday, March 20, vs. Quinnipiac, Stony Brook Invitational, Stony Brook, N.Y., 4:00 p.m.
Sunday, March 21, vs. Yale, Stony Brook Invitational, Stony Brook, N.Y., 10:00 a.m.
Sunday, March 21, vs. Fairfield, Stony Brook Invitational, Stony Brook, N.Y., 4:00 p.m.
- The Holy Cross softball team (4-5) returns to action on Tuesday, March 16 against Bryant at the Bryant Softball Complex in Smithfield, R.I. The Crusaders will travel to Stony Brook, N.Y. for the Stony Brook Invitational on Saturday-Sunday, March 20-21.
- Bryant will host its home opener against the Crusaders. The Bulldogs kicked off their season with seven games in Kissimmee, Fla. and returned home with an overall record of 1-6. Bryant picked up its first win of the season on Sunday, March 7 when it defeated Detroit-Mercy, 6-3.
- Last season the Crusaders split a doubleheader with the Bulldogs in Smithfield, R.I. on March 17. Holy Cross lost the first game by a score of 3-2 and then rebounded to take the second game 11-3. Junior Caitlin Belanger (Fall River, Mass.) picked up her fourth win of the season against the Bulldogs a year ago.
- Holy Cross is looking to extend its three-game win streak against the Bulldogs as its four-game win streak at the Rebel Spring Games a year ago was the longest since the 2003 season when it went on a seven-game win streak.
- The Crusaders will travel to the Stony Brook Invitational for the second consecutive season. A year ago Holy Cross went 0-3 at the Invitational, falling to Stony Brook, Quinnipiac and Fairfield. In the last six seasons, Holy Cross holds a 3-6 record against the three teams.
- Stony Brook is 5-7 on the season, picking up two wins against Holy Cross common opponent St. Francis at the Charlotte First Pitch Classic on Feb. 20. Holy Cross loss to St. Francis on March 2 and then defeated the Red Flash on March 4. The Seawolves will host Yale and Quinnipiac on Friday, March 19 before welcoming the Crusaders to the diamond on Saturday, March 20.
- Quinnipiac is 6-11 overall and will host Connecticut on Wednesday, March 17 before traveling to the Stony Brook Invitational. Holy Cross holds a 2-1 record over Quinnipiac in the last six seasons as it swept the Bobcats in a doubleheader at Freshman Field in 2004.
- Fairfield is 7-8 overall as it also traveled south to open the 2010 season. The Stags defeated Bryant, 6-0, at the Rebel Spring Games on March 7. Fairfield will travel to St. John’s on March 17 before traveling to the Stony Brook Invitational.
- Holy Cross will play Yale at the Stony Brook Invitational for the first time since the 2001 season when it lost to the Bulldogs, 5-6, in eight innings at the Rebel Spring Games. The Bulldogs are 0-5 overall as they lost to Stetson three times at the Stetson Classic March 12-15.
- As the Crusaders sat idle last week, three Patriot League teams picked up wins in non-conference action. Colgate and Lehigh each went 3-1 to wrap up action at the Rebel Spring Games, while Army picked up four wins. Colgate leads the Patriot League with an 8-2 overall record and Lehigh is second with a 6-4 record. Holy Cross’ four wins are the third most in the league.
- The Crusaders .301 batting average ranks third in the Patriot League, while its 42 runs scored, 75 hits, 31 RBI and 97 total bases rank second. Holy Cross’ 14 doubles and 24 stolen bases lead the league.
- Holy Cross’ pitching staff is tied with Patriot League opponent Lehigh with 35 strikeouts. Lehigh’s Tiffany Curtis has 23 strikeouts on the year while Belanger has 15 strikeouts in 23.2 innings pitched for the Crusaders.