Women's Soccer Defeated By Binghamton

Sept. 7, 2008

Box Score

WORCESTER, Mass. - The Holy Cross women's soccer team fell to Binghamton University, 2-0, on Sunday afternoon at the Linda Johnson Smith Soccer Stadium. Despite a heavy defensive effort from freshman Meghan Neville (Whitefish Bay, Wis.) and junior goalkeeper Jessica Stone (Rockville, Md.), it was not enough to stop the Bearcats. With the loss, the Crusaders fall to 0-4, while Binghamton improves to 3-1.

Most of the play during the first period took place at midfield as both teams had trouble penetrating each other's defense. After Binghamton was fouled barely outside of Holy Cross' penalty area, at the 23:34 mark, Bearcat sophomore Stefani Knopick faked the free kick allowing her senior teammate Charlotte Foster to have a clear shot on the Crusader goal. Though Foster launched a hard kick towards center net, Stone was able to deflect the ball away from the goal and out into the goal box. Binghamton's Amanda Casares capitalized on the rebound, firing the ball towards the right corner of the net. Though Stone was still on the ground from her recent save, Neville jumped in front of the ball and kicked it out of bounds, keeping the score 0-0. The tie would be short lived, however, as Binghamton scored its first goal of the day at the 38:52 mark when sophomore Dani Raske jettisoned the ball up field to Foster, who catapulted the ball past Stone and off the left post, arriving perfectly into the net.

The second period began very much like the first as most of the play took place at center field. It was not until the 65:15 mark when Binghamton scored again, this time when Casares maneuvered the ball away from the Holy Cross defenders and fired the ball into the upper left net. Holy Cross would rally from this point on, forcing the majority of the remainder of the game to be played in front of Binghamton's goal. With barely six minutes left in the second period, at the 5:46 mark, junior Shelby Stand (Douglas, Mass.) launched a shot from eighteen yards out. Binghamton goalkeeper Jen McEachron leaped up into the air and just barely tapped the ball away from the net with her fingers. Stand's shot would be the last Crusader attempt for the day as Binghamton was able prevent Holy Cross from scoring in the final five minutes to secure the 2-0 victory.

Stone made five saves for the Crusaders, while McEachron stopped four shots for the Bearcats and can be credited with her second straight shutout.

The Crusaders return to action on Friday, September 12, when they travel to Central Connecticut to take on the Blue Devils at 5:00 p.m.