Women’s Soccer Ties New Hampshire, 0-0

Cassie Muzik

WORCESTER, Mass. – A total of 16 shots on net were taken, but no goals scored as the Holy Cross and New Hampshire women's soccer teams played to a 0-0 tie on Wednesday evening at the Linda Johnson Smith Soccer Stadium. The Crusaders advance their record to 1-5-3 overall, while the Wildcats now stand at 2-5-2 on the season.

New Hampshire had a great scoring chance at the 1:03 mark of the game, as Alexandra Laporta lobbed a ball toward the top Holy Cross net, but Crusaders junior goalkeeper Carly McCabe (Barrington, R.I.) used an outstretched hand to push the ball over the goal. The Wildcats also had an opportunity to break the scoreless tie in the 39th minute, as they had two shots off a corner to score. The Crusader defense, led by junior captain Ally Pasquariello (Suffield, Conn.), stood tall and was able to clear the ball away from the box.

In the second half, Holy Cross upped its offensive pressure, but was unable to put the ball in the back of the net. The Crusaders had a total of 10 shots during the second stanza, including three on goal, but New Hampshire goalie Mimi Borkan made the key stops. Holy Cross had a chance late in the second half to score (83:01), as senior Gaby Ransom (Concord, N.H.) launched a shot from the right side, but it sailed just wide of the net.

In the overtime period (94:36), Holy Cross sophomore forward Annie Galvin (Attleboro, Mass.) fired a shot from just outside the box on net, but it went just over the crossbar. In the 98th minute, New Hampshire tried to end the game on a header by Gabrielle Sloan off a corner kick, but McCabe grabbed the ball and made the save. The Wildcats almost clinched the game in the closing seconds of the second overtime period, as Kelsi O'Neil ripped a desperation shot from 30 yards out, but again McCabe jumped up and directed the ball over the net.

McCabe made 10 saves in net for Holy Cross, as she earned her fourth shutout of the season and the 10th of her career. The four shutouts this year ties her career-best set in 2012. For New Hampshire, Borkan made six saves for her first career shutout.

Holy Cross held the 19-17 advantage in shots, including a 10-4 clip in the second half. The Wildcats held the 10-6 lead in shots on goal and the 5-4 edge in corner kicks.

The Crusaders return to action on Saturday, Sept. 28, when they will host American at the Linda Johnson Smith Soccer Stadium for a 1:00 p.m. contest.